Tuesday, June 26, 2018

14 Years

Sixteen years ago, I started dating a boy named Clay when we were both seniors at Clemson University. Within two weeks, I told my mom that I had met THE one

Fifteen years ago, that boy asked me to marry him. I remember saying, over and over throughout our engagement, "I don't care if I'm wearing a brown sack and standing in an alley. None of the other stuff matters. The only thing that matters is getting to marry you." 

Fourteen years ago today, we held hands, looked each other in the eyes, and said, 'I do." 


Over the last 14 years: 
  • 8 were spent in Atlanta (during one of which, we lived apart while I completed my  internship in Minnesota); 6 have been spent in our new hometown of Fort Mill. 
  • We have lived in four residences. 
  • I earned a doctorate in Child Psychology/Pediatric Neuropsychology; He earned a Master's of Business Administration; total years of graduate school/training while married = 9 years.
  • I quit my job working in a children's hospital to stay home with my own children. He has consistently worked hard to provide for our family, allowing me to fulfill my previously unknown dream of being a stay-at-home momma. 
  • We welcomed three biological kiddos and one adopted kiddo into our family. 
  • We became aunt/uncle to 15 nieces/nephews.
  • We traveled to six countries - Dominican Republic, Jamaica, France, Portugal, China, and Mexico - as well as the Virgin Islands, and adventured on countless domestic trips all across the country. 
  • We have had family members and friends pass away.  
  • We found our church home and our couples LifeGroup and remained devoted to both for nearly five years. 
  • We have made friendships that will last a lifetime, none more important than the friendship we share with one another. 
  • We have laughed together and cried together, rooted one another on and been each other's biggest fan. We have each seen the other make mistakes and provided love and support to conquer mountains that seemed insurmountable, coming out stronger together as a team.
  • We have prayed together, parented together, learned together, and grown together.
  • We have come to balance each other and listen to one other, despite our often varying views on matters of politics and various other odds and ends. 
  • We have argued and screwed up and apologized and then done it all again, always offering grace, forgiveness, and understanding in the end.
  • I still maintain what I said so many years ago: "I don't care if I would have been wearing a brown sack and standing in an alley. None of the other stuff mattered. The only thing that mattered is getting to marry you." 

More than anything, over the last 14 years, we have remained in love and in this thing together. No matter what, we are in it together. <3
________________________________

Happy 14, Rich.  If you asked me again, my answer would remain the same: I do. Every day forever, I do.









I love you,

Linds


No comments:

Post a Comment