Monday, January 28, 2019

Cheers to the Week, Hello Again! Edition

Ten years ago, I joined Facebook. Seven-and-a-half years ago, I started this blog. I have never taken a break from either. 

It was time for a break. 

I took the last two weeks off from social media - I literally deleted the social media apps I use (Facebook and Instagram) from my phone so that there would be no temptation to use them. I was sure I would be tempted. Honestly? I wasn't. At ALL. It was such a refreshing break. I did miss blogging, but it was nice to give myself two weeks off with no pressure to post. In short, it was a great cleanse. But. More on that in an upcoming post! 

For now, I thought I'd share a bit about what our last two weeks have looked like, for memory's/virtual scrapbooking sake. So, here, some things we've been saying CHEERS to as we kick off a new week: 

Doctor appointments galore. We have been busy, busy, busy with appointments, including a check-up with Bella's neurosurgeon. She'll be undergoing sedated MRI and CT scans in a few weeks to keep an eye on some things we're keeping an eye on ;), so big prayers appreciated that all looks as it should with that big appointment. <3 


Left: First visit with neurosurgeon in October 2017.
Right: Most recent visit in January 2019. My, how she's grown!

After being cleared by her cardiologist, Bella was able to re-visit the dentist for her first teeth cleaning and all looked good! We also saw a new doctor, one who specializes in Eastern medicine, and there is so much I want to share about it!!!, but I'll save it for an upcoming post about our wee warrior woman. Bels also had some blood drawn for allergy/other testing. And by had some blood drawn, I mean our brave girl had eight vials of blood drawn at once; so, we are anxiously awaiting the results of that. In a nutshell? Homegirl has been keeping us busy the last two weeks between all these appointments and her regular, weekly therapy schedule. Whew! But isn't she just the cutest?! <3


Banks also had an eye appointment with a new optometrist who we LOVE, local friends, if you're looking for a rec (we first heard about her from a good friend and are more than happy to pass on the eye love!). We found out over a year ago that Banks is near-sighted (just like his dad!) and needed glasses, but, to be totally honest, we have been AWFUL about making him wear his glasses. And, as it goes with those who are near-sighted, sight only declines with each passing year. So, we needed to re-check his vision and get glasses consistent with his new prescription. He found a pair he l.o.v.e.s. and has been rocking them since last week. I think he looks like quite the adorable little gent, if I do say so myself. :) (Also, how creepy are his dilated eyes :0 ). 




Organizational extravaganza. If you know me, you know that I love a good schedule, to-do list, routine, and alllll things organization. With my social media/blog fast, I had some extra time in my days and used some of it to organize, organize, organize: Our bathroom drawers and cabinets; our laundry room drawers, cubbies, and cabinets; my jewelry collection (and the angels sang, hallelujah!); the kitchen junk drawer; etc. We are feeling very clean and organized over here, ha! There are still a few more spaces I'd like to purge and organize, but I think I'm off to a pretty good start!

Winter sports. Winter sports will be winding down in a few weeks and spring sports beginning! For now, though, basketball and flag football march on! Regarding basketball, I am so proud of Raleigh. This is a brand new sport for her, and while she is still trying to figure out exactly what she should be doing during the games ;), I have to share this sweet story: Raleigh's first ever basketball game. The whistle blows signaling the start of the game, and she runs to the spot where her coach had told her to go. Her teammate got the ball, passed it to Raleigh, she threw it up and......BAM!!!!! scored her first ever basket (which was followed by a second one later in the game). She looked over at us with the shyest, slyest little grin and it was the sweetest thing. Go Rals! She was so proud, and we are so proud of her for trying something new!

And Banks is having a great season, too! Even though basketball is probably definitely my least favorite sport to watch, it has been an exciting and entertaining season, with playoffs just around the corner for his team!

Date nights. My hub and I have squeezed in several date nights over the last couple weeks: one was to a fundraiser in support of Lily Pad Haven, which supports survivors of sex trafficking. My hub recently joined the board, and it was incredible to be at this event, supporting these amazing, brave fighters and working to raise money to support them as they get back on their feet. I was in tears during the event and can't wait to continue to support this awesome organization. <3 

We also had a yummy dinner date, just the two of us, at Ilios Noche, a yummy, Charlotte restaurant with Mediterranean cuisine. One of the things our pastor always says is, "Love is spelled T.I.M.E." Whether it be spending time with our significant others or our kids, I have taken that line to heart ever since I heard it. So, for Christmas, one of my gifts to my hub was four separate gift certificates for four separate date nights - the first being for a dinner date to Ilios Noche. I also gave him gift certificates to Top Golf, an Escape Room, and Fandango, so we have three more fun dates coming our way, and I can't wait! He also bid on, and won, a Nascar driving experience at the Lily Pad Haven event, so I guess that makes four upcoming dates. Can't wait! <3



ALSO, my hub and I found two great shows to watch. The first was a quick documentary, called Fyre Festival on Netflix. Holy smokes. It's a quick, easy, and mind-boggling watch. Second, we are now completely obsessed with Schitt's Creek. Don't disown me here but...I think it is up there with shows like The Office and (my all-time most favorite) Friends. It is literally laugh-out-loud funny. We both laugh every single episode. You MUST watch! :) 

Family time. Again, "Love is spelled T.I.M.E." and we've been trying to give our kiddos even more of ours the last couple weeks. From family game times (new favorite: Clemson-opoly!) and reading times (I've been setting a timer for 30 minutes so that Banks, Rals, and I can sit alongside each other while each quietly reading our own books) to driveway basketball and movie nights, we've been having some great Lu Crew fun. 



Friend time. I was also able to squeeze in some good friend time over the last two weeks. There was a birthday wine night for two of my dearest friends, a movie night with two other friends I love, and just this past weekend, an evening of axe-throwing, followed by dinner in Charlotte, to celebrate another sweet friend's birthday. Full heart over here. <3




Me time. But also, I need me time. It is just crucial for my sanity. So, I have been hitting up my most favorite place as much as I can, <3 Barre3 <3, and also managed to read two books and am in the middle of another, with a highly anticipated other waiting in the wings (more on those in an upcoming post). 

Bad*ss little lady. My hub and I joke that our Raleigh is braver than both of us (and both our boys). And...she proved it again last week when she pulled out her own tooth. My hub and I had each squeamishly tried for WEEKS to get that sucker out, trying not to faint every time we attempted. We both failed, repeatedly. Then, last week, Raleigh went to school one morning, pulled it out, and came home one-tooth-lighter. 


Etc. Let's see. What else? We met our precious new family member, our little kitty, who should be coming home to us THIS WEEK!!!! We are so excited and Raleigh can hardly contain herself. She informed us that, just like when we brought Bella home from China, she wants everyone to make signs and stand in our driveway as we pull up with her new kitty - she is even requesting that her grandparents be there - ha! She also said she wants to invite all her friends over that day to meet her new kitty - she is just such a proud momma. <3 We've been buying our new little guy toys and a bed and food and a litter box and all the cat things, and we can't wait to welcome him home any day! 



What else? It's hard to believe we'll be registering my baby boy for kindergarten in less than two months. Siiiiiigh. 



We also finalized some fun summer plans, reserved a couple camp spots, bought the kids their swimsuits (crazy, I know, but they sell out so fast!), etc. We may be in the middle of winter but we are dreaming of summer already! :) 

I have also been making a real effort to cut out most processed foods from my diet. Being a busy momma, it is just so easy for me to eat what is convenient, which is processed foods. But I decided a few weeks ago to try and really eliminate a lot of gluten and a lot of sugary, processed foods. Now, don't get me wrong - I am not depriving myself of certain snacks when I want them (daily). I am just trying to also incorporate some healthier meals into my day so that I am not always eating 99.9% processed food. For example, my hub and I have been eating different variations of Overnight Oats (SO easy and quick to make) during the week, instead of the English muffin with peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon I have started my mornings out with for YEARS. I will still have that once or twice per week because I just can't quit my peanut butter/honey/cinnamon English muffin, but it's been nice to have a less processed option the other days. :) I've also made a number of clean eating meals over the last few weeks for dinner, which have been quite good (I take zero credit. I just follow the recipes). Always happy to share more for anyone who may be interested. 


This child avoids vegetables like her life depends on it. Too bad Momma snuck some in to this DELICIOUS cauliflower soup. She sucked down the entire bowl!

ANYWHO, in other words, it's been a restful, relaxing, organized, productive two weeks filled with necessary changes! I do have more I want to share about my social media cleanse, but I think this is a long enough post for now - ha! Be back soon. I hope you have a great start to your week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment