Saturday, January 5, 2019

Seven.

Dear Rals, 

Oh, best pal. Where do I begin? 

From the second I heard the words, "It's a girl!" so many of my lifelong dreams came true. Growing up, I always thought I'd be the momma to three boys. So, when I heard those beautiful words that day, my whole world shifted in the best way. I remember looking at that ultrasound, after hearing that you were, in a fact, a little girl. Going into the appointment, your daddy and I had decided on a name for you - Reece - just in case I was wrong, just in case you were a girl. But in that moment, when we heard those words, when we learned we had a daughter on the way, I just knew you were never meant to be a Reece. You were meant to be Raleigh Jane: a name that is both strong in it's Southern roots (Raleigh <3) and sweet in it's family ties (Jane <3). 


And that is exactly what you are, Rals: strong and sweet. Tender and spicy. Courageous and kind. You have the most nurturing heart, always the first to love on any little ones you come across. You are warm and loving and so very caring. And you are so smart, honey! Your teacher marvels at how well you are performing not even halfway through your 1st grade year. You have come out of your shell so much this year. I'll never forget dropping you off at your brand new classroom in your brand new dress with your brand new book bag, back in August, on the first day of first grade. As I turned to leave, you burst into tears, your nerves over the newness and unknown overwhelming you for the moment. But you did what you do best, Raleigh: you dove in and gave it your all. You conquered your nerves and decided to give it a try. And now, you walk into that classroom every day a confident, intelligent, kind-hearted, hard-working first grader. One who is a friend to all. One who adores her girlfriends as much as she loves to read and write. One who makes me so proud every.single.day.  


You are the spice of our family, Rals. You keep us on our toes and are as soft and dainty as you are tough as nails. Case in point? You will continue this year of dance but will also be starting up flag football in a few weeks, at your insistence that you play. You love nothing more than wearing dresses and fancy shoes and yet are also the only girl on your basketball team and proud of it. That's so you, honey: tough and sweet and strong and dainty. Such a beautiful combination. 



Raleigh, I am so very thankful for you, my first daughter. And now, I am the lucky momma to TWO girls! I have no doubt that you and Bella were destined to be sisters from the day she was born: you are her biggest cheerleader. She is your biggest fan. Gosh, I am so thankful that two of my four babies are girls. I am so thankful that you get to have both a sister and brothers. I am so thankful that YOU first gave me the honor and privilege of getting to be a girl momma. It is one of my greatest joys, and I take the responsibility very seriously. 


Here's to you, Raleigh Jane, on your seventh birthday. Happy, Happy Birthday! You are loved beyond measure, best pal. And isn't she lovely, made by God. <3 


With All My Heart, 

Momma 


No comments:

Post a Comment