Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Cheers to the Week, Random Bits of Christmas Edition

Happy Less-Than-Two-Weeks-Til-Christmas, friends! Isn't that nuts?! Every year, I do my best to try not to overwhelm my schedule, not get overly-stressed by all things holiday, and focus on the enjoyment and actual meaning of CHRISTmas. But. I pretty much always fail at most of those. 'Tis the season, right?! 

Regardless, I absolutely love this time of year. I am a stickler for family traditions, and December is chock full of them! So, a few things we've been saying CHEERS to over the last week, as Christmas approaches:

Meeting Santa. I have to start with, what will undoubtedly be, one of my favorite memories of the 2017 Christmas season. Last week, we got the kiddos all fancied up and headed off to see Santa. We arrived - no line! - which gave me a quick minute to chat with Santa before the kids went over to visit with him. I shared with him that we've had our sweet Bella for just over four months and that we didn't want to traumatize her by having her suddenly forced on a stranger's lap (because #attachment). I was starting to blabber on about how maybe we should just have him stand behind his chair for the photo with the kiddos, keeping her pretty much oblivious to this stranger's Santa's presence while cheesing for the annual Santa photo. But then, Santa interrupted me. "Where is she from?" he asked. "China," I said. "Inner Mongolia, specifically." And then, he turned to our Bella, who was in her Daddy's arms, and started talking to her in Mandarin. She stared at him, totally in awe, as I held back tears. "How Santa?" I asked him. "How do you know how to speak Chinese?" With a twinkle in his eye, he responded, "Because I'm Santa." I'll never forget it.

 Santa success!

 My girls.

My boys.

Off to Aiken. We spent last weekend with my hub's "side" of the family and had such a lovely, relaxing weekend celebrating Christmas together. Aside from a quick, 20-minute paths-crossing during Thanksgiving, my kiddos hadn't seem some of their cousins for a whole year, and they were all so clearly ecstatic to be together again! I swear, I pretty much saw my kids when we arrived on Friday and then again when we left on Sunday. They just had so.much.fun. with their cousins! I have such wonderful, vivid memories of playing with my cousins at my grandparents' houses, and I love getting to see my own children living this out. It was such a special weekend, and we definitely have several new, special memories tucked away, especially since this is all brand new to our beautiful Bella girl. <3 

 The kids loved putting on "shows" for all of us grown-ups

 Singing a few carols before opening gifts Saturday morning. Clearly, Banks was into it big time ;)

 Snuggles with Pop

 Reading about Jesus' birth before opening gifts - a tradition we love!

 Someone loved her gifts!

 Someone else did, too!

 Chats with Aunt Amanda

 Hot chocolate party time - another favorite tradition!

 Bella's first ever hot chocolate <3 She was a fan ;) 

 So was Rals! :)

 Snuggles with Aunt Chrissy

 Three sweet boys, playing Banks' new football board game

 Snuggles with Momma <3

 Nana and Pop and their nine grands

 Last snuggles with Nana before we hit the road!

Until next time!

Nutcracker. One of my favorite holiday traditions is taking Raleigh to Columbia City Ballet's Nutcracker each year, with both of her grandmothers joining us. It is just so special. This was our fourth year, and I swear it gets more beautiful every year. I was in tears as it ended. <3 Unfortunately, our Nana couldn't make it at the very last minute, but it just means we are already looking forward to next year. And our Bella isn't quite ready for the show, but when she is, it will be a special, special day when we get to add her to the tradition. <3 

 Our fourth year and just as excited as the first!

 My big girl, who insisted on wearing her "Clara dress" (a Christmas gift she requested last year :))

 Raleigh and Bammy <3

 Every year, she gets to choose a Nutcracker/figurine to add to her collection. This year's matched her perfectly, right down to the blonde curls!

 Christmas...

 ...is...

 ...magical.

Home decor. We have decked our halls and are feeling festive. A quick peek at some of our indoor and outdoor decor:



I cannot describe how amazing it feels to see SIX stockings on our mantle this year!!!

All of our Christmas cards from years past :) 

And all of our Santa photos from year's past, from 2009 to 2017!

Outdoor decor, courtesy of my hub

Modern medicine. 'Tis the season for all things festive, fa la la la la, but not.the.bugs. Ugh! Y'all! We just got over strep, and the worst sinus infection of my life, only to have the stomach bug hit our house! Praise the Lord, the only victims so far are Banks and Raleigh. They were out of school on Monday but were able to go back on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the rest of us were chugging grape juice, bathing in Lysol, and (I was) downing activated charcoal pills like it was my job. The rest of us aren't going down without a fight! Fingers and toes crossed for good health!

Upcoming fun. Just like the rest of y'all, the next couple weeks will be filled with school programs and dance showcases and pajama parties and elementary school feasts and preschool celebrations - and this Lu Crew can't wait! I know it makes things busier, but man, is it fun! 

Holiday laughs. If you know my Harrison, you know he is the most loveable, mischevious, sneaky little fella there ever was. ;) The kiddo loves to entertain and loves to cause mischief and is really keeping my hub and I on our toes lately - in both fun-loving and reeeeeeeeally challenging ways. But. We adore our littlest buddy, even when he, say, takes our address stamp to the rest of the holiday cards (and books of stamps) we have yet to send. So. If you haven't received our card yet this year, I am so sorry to say it is now in my trashcan. Next year is a new year (one where I will hide my address stamp). For now, please accept both my apologies and this virtual holiday card as we wish you the jolliest Christmas around, from my family to yours:




Have a great week, friends! Ho, Ho, Hope yours is great! ;) 

P.S. HAPPY 94TH BIRTHDAY TO MY AMAZING, ALWAYS FABULOUSLY ACCESSORIZED, FUN-LOVING GRANDMA, AKA G. GRAM. <3

 


No comments:

Post a Comment