Saturday, September 29, 2018

Nine.

Dear Banks, 

NINE. 

Wow. 

Nine whole years. This means we are now halfway done with our time of having you here at home with us. Writing that makes my breath catch and my tears fall because I truly feel like it was just yesterday that your Dad and I were sitting in The Cheesecake Factory in Perimeter Mall in Atlanta, when my phone rang telling us we were all set to head to the hospital for induction. You see, buddy, you were so warm and cozy, baking away in my gigantic belly, that you just wanted to stay put. And even by 40 weeks, you weren't ready to make your debut just yet. HOWEVER, the doctor was estimating you to be over 9 pounds; so, we thought it was time for you to evacuate the premises. After nearly 24 hours of induction and labor, we ended up with a c-section, at which point we discovered why I had needed one: you were just too big!!! Nine pounds, 15 ounces, and 23 inches long (Gracious! How much bigger would you have grown if we hadn't induced?!). And you've been off the charts ever since! You'll be taller than me soon, Bankster! And you're only in third grade!


The day I saw your face was one of the best days of my life: the day you made me a momma. And I am SO proud to be YOUR momma, Bankster. You are a leader with a kind and nurturing heart, a friend to all and the most loving big brother I know. You are smart and love, love, love to read and yet, like my mama always used to tell me when I was little, "You'd lose your head if it wasn't attached." The apple doesn't fall too far, buddy. 


You have boundless energy and were born to be an athlete - you started walking at 10 months and haven't stopped since! Your happy place is on any field of any kind, although football is your passion (and cheering you on - obnoxiously and loudly, if I'm being honest - is one of mine). But you also love playing baseball and basketball and golf and tennis and swimming...you just love playing sports! You encourage others and love your friends. You are sociable, outgoing, and well-liked and have a heart filled with empathy, compassion, generosity, and nurturance. You love to be active and play outside, whether it be playing sports in our backyard, riding your bike or scooter, swimming, competing in any way, shape, or form...you are happiest when you are moving!


You still hold my hand, call me "Mommy," want me to sing "our song" to you every single night before bed, and are one of the most affectionate children I have ever known. You love to snuggle and are never shy with saying, "I love you," to those you value in your life. You love Jesus, having accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and have asked for years to be baptized, which will be happening in a couple months and will undoubtedly be one of my proudest moments as your momma. And that's saying a lot, Banks, because you make me so, so proud, every day. The privilege of being YOUR momma is one of the greatest of my life. How did I ever get so lucky? 


Banks Alexander, you are my sunshine. You are a light in this world. You are joy. You are hard work. You are tenacity. You are kindness. You are exactly who God designed you to be, and I love you so, so much for every single bit of it. Thank you for being YOU. You will do big, beautiful things in this world, and it will be an honor to watch you shine.


Happy 9th Birthday, buddy. What do you say we rock out the next 9 even harder?! I'm in if you are!

With All My Heart, 

Momma 






1 comment:

  1. Happy happy 9th birthday Banks! May your day be filled with all that makes you happy, family, fun and lots of goodies! It’s obvious you mean the world to your loved ones so cherish the day and thank God when it’s over that He allowed you to be. May your day be as special as you are! God bless!❤️
    πŸŽ‚πŸŒ️‍♂️🏊🏼‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🏈⚾️πŸ€πŸŽΎπŸŽΎπŸ©πŸ¦πŸ’₯πŸŽ‰πŸŽπŸŽˆ

    ReplyDelete