Friday, February 1, 2019

What I Learned From My Social Media Cleanse

I have never been more in need of a detox than I was at the start of 2019. 

Over the last decade, social media had slowly taken over my world. I was spending too much time clicking on it, scrolling through it, posting on it, thinking about it. It was too much. I was in desperate need of a cleanse. 

So, one Sunday morning, I woke up and deleted social media from my phone. And then decided I would simultaneously take a break from blogging. I decided to detox for two weeks. Two weeks of no social media nor blogging AT ALL. No sneaking, no peeking, no cheating. Two weeks. 

Honestly? I thought it was going to be really, really hard for me. I thought I'd be jones-ing for that social media fix. I thought I'd be craving those up-to-date updates from the social world. I thought I would feel left out, out of loop, not in the know. 

In truth? Now that I'm done with the detox, what have I learned? 

I could not have been more wrong. About all of it. About everything I thought I was going to think, feel, and experience. 

I was so wrong. 

Here's what I learned from my 2-week social media detox:

  • I had so much more time on my hands. Often, I don't realize how much time is wasted by mindless scrolling. The new "Screen Time" updates the iPhone provides revealed how many hours I was wasting each week, and I was shocked. I don't sit on my phone for hours at time. How could my "Screen Time" updates be showing so much time spent on social media? But the thing is, those minutes of mindless scrolling add up. And I was wasting my time. During my detox, I was SO much more purposeful with my time, focusing on completing overdue tasks around the house. I was able to accomplish so much more just by putting my phone, and mindless scrolling, away. That being said, admittedly, I was bored at times. Sometimes, it's just fun to mindlessly scroll through social media, although I have learned I was doing it way too often.
  • I didn't miss it NEARLY as much as I thought I would. I honestly thought it was going to be really hard for me to refrain from it because it's such an ingrained part of my day. But now? Truthfully, if there was a way I could eliminate social media from my life with no real repercussions, I would. However, I also realized I need social media for some things, too. The primary reason I am keeping my social media accounts active now is that I truly did miss getting information I otherwise have no access to (e.g., updates from my beloved Barre3; information from our neighborhood mom's page on Facebook; being able to ask questions on my China Adoption page). So, I am staying on it for now while trying to figure out a better approach to using it and using it well and wisely.
  • I was able to focus more on being present and engaged in the relationships right in front of me. I don't need to know what is going on in everyone's life at every moment of every day. Nor do I need to share mine. Social media can almost feel voyeuristic at times. And I need to keep my prying eyes to myself and the world directly in front of me more.   
  • Weeding out the negative is key to my happiness and mental health. I am focusing on a year of positivity and reducing negative interactions. Cutting down on social media has already help that TREMENDOUSLY. What's more, during my detox, I felt more at peace because the opportunities for unhealthy comparison were reduced and access to negative relationships and interactions was diminished. 
  • There are GOOD parts of social media, too! Some days, I truly do enjoy social media - the inspiration I get from so many amazing mommas; the viewing of products and businesses that interest me; seeing snapshots of my friends' lives who I just don't get to see enough, etc. And I have gained a new community of support and friendships that I have truly needed as we have navigated the adoption and post-adoption world over the last few years, all as a result of social media. What's more, I think social media can be a beautiful outlet to share one's own story while encouraging and supporting others. BUT. Like everything in life, what I learned most from my detox is that moderation is ****key.****

Social media, I'm not ready to quit you just yet. But there is so much I took from our time apart while we were on a break, and I fully intend to take breaks more often. 

Don't worry, it's not you. 

It's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment