Thursday, May 28, 2020

And That's.A.Wrap. On Homeschoolin' My S{quad}

You are a strange one, 2020, and I want to make sure to adequately document this season of our lives, when the world shut down and we cozied in. For the last 8 weeks, we have worked our way through e-learning x4, and while I pray our school doors will open again in August, we somehow managed to make our way through this crazy end of the 2019-2020 school year. And as of TODAY, that school year has come to a close. This means I now have a 5th grader, 3rd grader, 1st grader, and kindergartener, which just blows my mind. A few things I want to remember as we close out the school year and reflect on our e-learning adventure. 

But first: my how they've grown!!!






We had a loose schedule when all this started, which we loosely followed throughout the 8 weeks of homeschooling. One thing that remained consistent was that we woke up (early, as my Lu Crew do), ate breakfast, and immediately tackled our work. 



Banks was essentially independent in completing his and had daily google classroom meetings with his teacher and classmates so she could teach them new and difficult material. Simultaneously, I worked with Harrison and Raleigh to complete their assignments (all three big kiddos had assignments in Reading, Writing, Math, and Science/Social Studies every day that needed to be turned in either via Google Classroom or Seesaw). Meanwhile, Bels would hang out upstairs in my hub's office (he started this after it became too stressful for me to try to manage her and the others' work at the same time). Once the Big 3 were done with their work and any zoom meetings they may have, it was time to work with Bella on her schooling. She, too, often had zoom meetings with her school teachers/therapists. 




Once our school work was done, we used the rest of the day to play, play, play, often outside, often with friends (particularly after the initial, stricter shelter-in-place orders were put in place). And this is roughly what our Mondays-Fridays looked like. The last couple weeks, as my anxiety spiked, my hub stepped in even more and began helping to knock out some of their work while I was finishing much-needed-for-my-sanity runs, bike rides, or virtual Barre3 workouts. I will never, ever forget how he stepped in right when I needed him most, without me even asking. <3



Somehow, some way, we made it to summer. There were tears (usually mine), there was frustration, there was stress, there was hard work, but we did it. And now, Summer 2020, we welcome you with the warmest of wishes and the biggest of open arms. And we pray that our kiddos can walk in the door of our school and into their new classrooms with their new teachers in a few months. Until then, Hello, Summer! We've been waiting for you! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment