Friday, May 15, 2020

To the Teachers...

I stopped into our elementary school earlier this week to pick up belongings from my kiddos' classrooms. I adjusted my required face mask as I greeted our amazing principal on the way in and then trekked to each of the three hallways housing their classrooms. I gathering their things and paused in each room, trying to imagine that first day of school, when I had dropped them off into their new classrooms, then bustling with nerves, excitement and anticipation. None of us ever knew their school year would end so abruptly. 

On the way out, as I walked through the atrium, I hesitated only a moment before thinking, "No. She needs to know. I need to tell her or I'll regret not doing it." So, I stopped in my tracks. Turned around, holding an arm-load of notebooks and completed assignments and school supplies and artwork. I faced our beloved principal, looked her straight in the eyes and said: 

"I need to tell you: I am so incredibly grateful for our teachers." 

Immediately, I began to cry, tears falling from my eyes and sliding beneath my face mask. I took a breath and continued:

"They have been amazing. They are going above and beyond. They are working so hard for my kids. I truly don't know what we'd do without them. I just can't tell you enough: they are incredible. I am so grateful." 

And it's true. 

My 4th grader has a virtual meeting every.single.day. with his language arts/math teacher. She meets with him and his classmates at 10:00 am every morning to teach them new and difficult concepts, answer questions, and just talk to them and see their faces. And then, because my son is so blessed to have this same teacher for homeroom and science/social studies, he meets with her again, virtually, immediately after that first class, for the same reasons, with the students in those classes with her. EVERY SINGLE DAY she meets with them. Unbelievable. 

My 2nd grader has a brand new, straight-out-of-college teacher this year. Can you imagine? Your first year of teaching, which is undoubtedly filled with nerves, performance anxiety, and a steep learning curve, and it ends abruptly in an unprecedented halt to the school year. She now has to learn an entirely new system of e-learning on top of teaching subjects and topics for the first time ever. It must be so overwhelming. But you would never know. Because she is kind, supportive, and optimistic, posting comments on every assignment turned in each day, but only after beginning each day with a virtual video question, so her students can see their classmates and friends as each responds. Incredible. 

My kindergartener gets interactive feedback every day from his teacher, who compliments his hard work, asks follow-up questions, and posts regular "Morning Meeting" messages for her students to see. As if that wasn't enough, one of the highlights of kindergarten year is watching eggs hatch into chicks. It's a 21-day process, and the students earnestly watch those eggs in the classroom each day, waiting for the first one to begin cracking. Not having a classroom wasn't going to stop my son's teacher from having her students experience this special event: she took the eggs and the incubator to her home, where her own school-age children created amazing videos and updates, teaching the kindergarteners virtually about the development of the chicks. And then, a couple weeks ago, I got to drive my buddy up to the school, where his teacher was waiting outside with the chicks so her students could see them in person. Amazing. 

And then there's my preschooler, who has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and gets specialized instruction and therapies within her classroom. Since quarantine, she has received virtual class meetings and one-on-one sessions with her teacher every week. Her teacher has developed individually-tailored, e-learning curriculums and assessment tools for each student in her class. Then there are the school therapists, who also have weekly sessions with their students, again designed specifically for that individual student's needs. Can you imagine? How much additional work this must take? But every time we see their faces on our computer screens, they are smiling and so excited to see the students they miss so much. So special.  

These are my kids' teachers. They are working so hard for their students. Not to mention, many are also trying to homeschool their own children. It is an unprecedented, stressful, challenging time, but these teachers continue to pour their hearts and souls into their students, every single day, every single week. 

It breaks me every time. I cannot talk about teachers right now without crying out of sheer admiration and gratitude. There just aren't enough words to tell them how much we love them. But I'll try: 

To them: To Mrs. Albaugh, Ms. Houston, Mrs. Feneis, Mrs. Windell. To our amazing assistant teachers. To our incredible school therapists: I see you. I see your hard work, your brave smiles, your extra hours, your care and compassion. I see you working tirelessly for your students. I see you being creative, thinking outside the box, going above and beyond. I see you learning new technology and reviewing new assignments, daily. I see you working harder than you ever have. I see your love for your students and your love of teaching. I see your empathy, your support, your kindness. I see you missing your students, your classrooms, your hallways, and your school. I see you, and I thank you, from the bottom of my heart. 

To teachers everywhere: THANK YOU.  


No comments:

Post a Comment