Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Putting Myself Out There

It's funny how, as a teenager and woman in my 20s, I was so concerned with what others thought of me. 

Not let's be honest. I still do. But not quite as much as I used to. 

We've been in our new home now for almost three months (Wait...what?!? There's still so much to be done!) and, thanks to now living in a neighborhood with its own activities director and social committee, there are pretty much weekly events, activities, and gatherings for both kids and grown-ups alike. This has been a great way to meet people, set aside my own insecurities, and jump in with both feet.

So, in the spirit of putting myself out there and trying to meet new neighbors friends, I attend as many of these events as possible. So far, this has included "Craft Corner for Kids," "Kids in the Kitchen," a Halloween party, a pre-trick-or-treating event, a neighborhood hayride, and most, recently, Bunco (no kids, or men, allowed). Tonight, I am attending my first of many "Crafting and Cocktails" (alcoholic bevs and crafting...two of my favorite things!) and will also be headed to a Ladies Only Holiday party next week followed by a big neighborhood Holiday party in three weeks.

I have also joined a local playdate group with whom we get together weekly, and recently, I had a (blind) playdate with a new friend who will be moving to the area next week. 

With each of these events, there has been one commonality: I have known no one upon entering (well, with the exception of the one girlfriend who invited me to join her playdate group). It can be pretty intimidating to enter a new situation and not know a soul. In fact, it's something I'm not sure I would have done even 5 years ago. 

But.

Now, I put myself out there.   

Maybe it's wanting my kiddos to have new friends in our new town. Maybe it's wanting to model for my children what it means to enter a new situation unsure but confident and come out better on the other side. Maybe it's being almost-32 and feeling more at ease in my own skin. Maybe it's a reinvigorated recognition that, to me, life is about family and friends.

Whatever the reason may be, while I still have some degree of insecurity about what others think of me, about what kind of first impression I make, more than ever, I just want to put myself out there. I want to make new friends. And I want to make memories for myself and my little family.

So, here's to putting myself out there and hoping for new friendship, new experiences, and new memories in return. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment