Monday, November 16, 2015

Mom-ing Through Faith: On Loss

Last week was a really hard one for me, emotionally, for several reasons: the unexpected loss of a young, vibrant, much-loved man; hard health news for others I love; the unfathomable acts of terrorism in Paris. Ugh. Weeks like that are really, really tough. They make my heart ache, my stomach hurt, and my tears readily fall. It is easy to lose faith during such times. 

But. 

It is more comforting to hold strong to faith during such times. 

When things are going well, I think it is easy to "forget" about God. But when faced with loss or tragedy or overwhelming sadness, I think we are more apt to lean on Him. And I certainly think that the greatest comfort when faced with such unfathomable circumstances comes from faith. 

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. Phillipians 3: 20-21.

I hope that all those who are hurting are able to lean on not only the love of those around them, but also on their faith

That being said, for this week, I have a challenge for all my Mom-ing Through Faith mommas out there. Something that will encourage us to not only rely on our Lord during times of great heartache and need, but also during times of goodness and joy. It is something I started doing about six months ago, and it really helps my day start off on a grateful note, helping to keep what matters most in perspective: 

As soon as your eyes pop open each morning this week, before you reach for your iPhone or greet your spouse, before you climb out of bed or turn on the tv, pause and say a quick prayer to God, one that does not ask for anything at all but instead expresses your gratitude for the many joys in your life. For me, this usually involves saying thank you for my faith, family, and friends; our health; our wealth; the roof over our head; the pantry full of food; a working car to take us places; our education; our freedom; our church, etc. It takes but a few seconds, but it is a daily reminder to pray not only in times of need, but also to praise for all the good in my life. I do not ask for what I want or what I need. I simply make it a point to say thank you, Lord, for everything I have. 

...always give thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:20.

If you are hurting today, I will also be praying for you. Not only for peace and comfort but that you will be surrounded by love and an enduring faith. Amen. 

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4.

No comments:

Post a Comment