Monday, November 30, 2015

Mom-ing Through Faith: On The Love Of A Parent

I have been writing this Mom-ing Through Faith series for the last six months. 

I am a Christian. I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus suffered and died for our sins. I believe that he was resurrected. I believe in Heaven. I believe that salvation is by grace through faith.

I know I am a sinner. I know I am working hard to nourish my relationship with Jesus Christ. I know I have many unanswered questions but even more resounding faith. 

Despite these beliefs and knowledge, I had an epitome last Sunday while in church, one that struck me to my momma core. 

God sent his son to die for us.  

God sent his SON to die for us.

God sent his son to DIE for us.

God sent his son to die for US.

God sent his SON to DIE for US.

As mommas, have you ever truly, honestly, really thought about the depth and meaning of that statement? Oh, sure, we've heard it over and over, but have you ever really thought about it. And not just as some urban legend, not just as some tall tale, not just as some fantastical story. As something that really, actually happened?

Try this: Personify it. Read that statement again, only this time, replace GOD with I and replace HIS with MY. 

I sent MY son to die...

Can you imagine? Can you ever imagine sending your own child to die?

I was sitting in church and suddenly my momma heart ached. The absolute ANGUISH and DESPAIR I would feel if I sent my son, my actual, real son, to die. I thought about the moments I would have with him before his death, knowing that I was the one who was sending him to it, all for the salvation of the sinners. I thought about how unfathomable, how unspeakable, how unimaginable those moments would be, and how I would ache knowing what was to come. 

And, to be totally honest? To show just what a sinner I am?

I realized that I wouldn't be able to do it. I would not be able to send my own son to die, even if it was for the salvation of others. I wish I was a good enough person to be able to say that I could do it. But I am not. I am a sinner. I am not enough.

But you know who is? 

God. 

He made this sacrifice for us, the rest of his beloved children. He saved us by sacrificing his Son. Can you imagine? He did this. He faced these very unfathomable, unspeakable, unimaginable moments. And He saved us.

We, God's children, are blessed.

This month, I will celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior and will be more aware than ever of the sacrifices that were made for us, the sinners of the world. 

HE SENT HIS SON TO DIE FOR US. 

As a momma, I will thank my Heavenly Father every day for his abundant love and forgiveness and feel honored to try and shine his light through my own faith. 

Aren't we all so lucky to have a Father in heaven who loves us even more than we love our own children? It's hard to imagine, isn't it?

Thanks be to God. 

He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds, you are healed. 1 Peter 2:24.

No comments:

Post a Comment