Friday, August 5, 2016

Cheers to the Weekend, Random Bits Edition

Geez Louise. I just cannot find time to squeeze in more than one blog post right now, mainly because I am now using the time I typically use to write to bake and decorate cookies for our adoption fundraising instead. I miss getting to write more than these summary Friday posts. One of these days, I'll actually be able to write more meaningful posts. For now, I continue on with my Friday Cheers posts so that I can at least document what's happening in our lives as the weeks fly by at breakneck speed. 

That being said, here's what I'm saying CHEERS to this week/end:

Football season. It is no secret my hub and I are huge college football fans and we also love our Carolina Panthers, as do my kiddos, especially our football-obsessed, Banks. Last year, my sweet friend invited he and I to join her at a Panthers practice and we were so excited to get to do it again this year. We were able to watch the practice (which is currently at Wofford College in Spartanburg seeing as how the Panthers are smack in the middle of training camp) from the sidelines and then meet and get autographs from the players afterwards. Several of the players were SO sweet to even play a little ball with my kiddos, including our favorite player, kicker Graham Gano. :) And as a bonus, we were on Sports Center the following morning! They had been covering the Panthers camp that day and apparently did some filming while my kiddos were getting autographs from Cam. Such a fun and special day!



Girlfriend time. My friends have always been a vital part of my life, and I am so lucky to have so many wonderful women in my village from all ages and stages of my life. I so strongly feel that good girlfriends are an invaluable part of life, as is making time with them and for them. All that to say, this week/end has been/will be chock full of awesome girlfriend time! First, three of my favorite mommas and I ventured out to see "Bad Moms" for a mid-week Momma's Night Out. And y'all. OhmydearLord. It was so freaking funny. Vulgar beyond belief but also laugh-out-loud funny. I was cracking up for pretty much the whole movie! 


And now, I am heading out in just a few hours for a much-needed girls weekend away with six other (awesome!) women. This is our second annual trip to my dear friend's mountain/lake house, and I CAN.NOT.WAIT. Last year, her gracious parents so kindly cooked us breakfast and dinner over an open fire while we sat outside among the gorgeous scenery. We spent the day lounging in a river having beverages and great girl talk and then being flung all over the place while tubing behind her dad's boat. Oh, and did I mention there is ABSOLUTELY NO CELL SERVICE in this Tennessee spot we'll be all weekend. I may be looking forward to that the most--being totally off the grid for a couple of days. It'll be hard to top the amazing time we had last year, but we will certainly try!!! 

Serial. Have y'all heard of this podcast? I am not typically a podcast kind of girl, but two of my sistas were raving about this and I just had to see what all the fuss was about. Basically, the series takes 11 to 12 episodes to deeply explore a real-life story line. The first season was about the conviction of a high school student who allegedly murdered his girlfriend. Or did he? He's been in jail for 16 years because of it, and the entire season is beyond fascinating. I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't wait to hear the next episode. It was like listening to the most captivating "Dateline" episode ever. The second season, which I just finished, was all about Bowe Bergdahl (remember him--the solider who walked off his post and was captured and held by the Taliban for five years?). It was so interesting--hearing his perspective as well as those of many, many other soldiers and political officials from never-before-heard interviews. There are even interviews with members of the Taliban. So, anytime this summer I have been decorating cookies or driving to/from Pure Barre classes or lounging on the beach, you can bet your bottom dollar I was listening to Serial. Now, I need a new season of it to start! You should definitely check it out--oh, and it's free. :) 

Summer television. Between "Big Brother" and "The Bachelorette" and "Bachelor in Paradise," I am definitely getting my fill of mindless, can't-turn-away, entertaining, trainwreck tv. And I love it!

Children's LifeGroups. Our church is big on the sentiment that the deepening of our faith happens in circles not rows. In other words, it's great to come and listen and learn in church but our relationship with Christ deepens when we share fellowship with others. I can certainly attest to this. Our couples LifeGroup, which will be four years old this Fall, has been life-changing for my hub and me and has really deepened our faith while giving us a strong network of friends who we adore and love doing life with. Our church believes this is just as important for littles, and I am thrilled to say that I will be co-leading my own children's LifeGroup starting this Fall. I can't wait!

So. How's that for a random post? Ha! Y'all have a great weekend, and I'll be back next week, hopefully more than just on Friday. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment