Thursday, July 27, 2017

A Letter To The Big Siblings

Dear Banks, Raleigh, and Harrison,

From Day 1, you never showed an ounce of hesitation, resentment, anxiety, nor fear over adding another little Lu to our Crew. Not for a second. Instead, your joy, excitement, and enthusiasm were overwhelming. Each of you, this entire journey, has been so patient and kind - all those days you had to accompany me while I got so.many.documents. completed, copied, and notarized; those days you were interviewed by our social worker; the days I needed you to play quietly so I could complete yet another step in our adoption journey; every single time, you displayed grace and understanding. You made an overwhelming and exhausting process so much better, you guys. I am so proud of each of you.

I will never forget the day Daddy and I finally got to show you your beautiful sister’s face, to share her name, to tell you her age, to explain where she was living, to let you know when she was coming HOME. You squealed and laughed and smiled so hard, asking to see more, more, more!!! You couldn’t get enough. Every time I think about those precious moments, I cry. Every single time. You see, it is always scary for a momma and daddy to anticipate how their babies will accept a new addition to the family. But you guys. Each of you. You could not have been more overjoyed. You were absolutely ecstatic.

From the beginning, you have each included Bella in your prayers. You have talked about her constantly. You have imagined the days she would fill our home with more joy, more fun, more memories, more chaos. And Raleigh, oh sweet Raleigh, I don’t know that I have EVER, my entire life, seen a little girl more excited to have a little sister. Honey, my heart has nearly burst with joy so many times. Like the day we revealed your shared room to you. You sang out in joy and ran to sit on her bed, to cuddle her dolly, to see her little space--it was a dream come true knowing the very thing you had begged for, to share a room with your sister, was happening right before your eyes. And then there was the afternoon you and I carefully folded and put away her tiny clothes (that used to be yours!)-you smiled so big when hanging up each of her sweet dresses and lining up each pair of shoes. And like that night, just two weeks ago, when you told me that you and I can’t be Best Pals anymore - not just the two us. No, you insisted, we now need to have a “Best Pals Club” because Bella is going to be our Best Pal, too. When packages come in the mail, your face lights up and you immediately and hopefully ask if it’s something for Bella...not for you, for Bella. You want those packages that arrive to be for her. What an amazing heart you have, Rals. And like my sisters are to me, I know that Bella will be your very best friend in the whole wide world, for the rest of your life.

But all three of you-Banks, Raleigh, and Harrison-have been more than I ever could have hoped or dreamed for during this journey. I am just so proud of each of you. I can't say it enough: I love you, and I am so proud of you.

Now, it’s time for Daddy and me to bring your sister home. And, after we return, our world will be turned upside down for awhile, guys. We’ll be exhausted; our home will be chaotic and crazy and turned upside down; things are going to be nuts around here for awhile! But one thing will remain certain - I could not love you more if I tried. I am so thankful that our sweet Bella has three amazing big siblings to show her the ropes. To show her what it means to have a family. To show her what it means to be unconditionally loved. And I have no doubt she will adore you just as much as I do.

Alright, guys. Let’s do this thing. Let’s get our Bella home!!

With All My Heart,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment