Friday, July 28, 2017

A Letter To Our Baby Girl

Dear Bella,

Do you know that your Daddy and I have dreamed of you for over 10 years? That’s a long time, sweet girl. You weren’t even born yet, but God already knew that you would be our daughter one day. He wove our lives together, in His timeline, and on that fateful day - April 13, 2017 - I saw your face and my heart nearly stopped:

 
Oh, there you are. Hi honey! We’ve been waiting for you!

And since that day, I have done everything I can, as fast as I can, to get you home, with us, where you belong.

Now, here’s the thing, Bels: you may feel scared for a little while. When we first meet, you won’t know who I am. I will look different than anyone you’ve ever seen. I will talk, smell, and feel different than anyone you've ever known. And suddenly, everything you have always known will be gone. So, you will probably feel scared and uncertain, worried and upset. And sweet baby, that’s okay! You take your time. Because you know what? I'm scared, too. But it's okay. We’ll get through it together, because that’s what mommas and their babies do. We are a team now, sweet pea. And what you will quickly learn is that I will always, ALWAYS be here for you. You’re stuck with me now, kid. ;) You should know that I am a fiercely loyal and protective momma, which means I’m not going anywhere. You don’t have to worry about that anymore, Bella. I’ve got you. And I will never leave you.

I remember when your Daddy and I announced our first pregnancy, years ago, after we learned we were pregnant with your biggest brother, Banks. We created a video to share our news with our family and friends, and in the background of that video, we played this special song. The song started out with beautiful, well-known lyrics and ended with our wedding song (What A Wonderful World). And wouldn’t you know, years and years later, when we were talking about adoption one night, trying to determine if that was the path God wanted us to take, that exact same song suddenly began to play. It was a sign. A little wink from God: We heard that song when we were expecting our first baby and again when it was time to welcome our last. We were meant to adopt. We were meant to have you. And for now on, every time I hear it, the first half of that beautiful song, I will always think of you:

Somewhere over the rainbow,
Way up high,

There's a land that I've heard of,
Once in a Lullaby. 
 

Somewhere over the rainbow,
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream 
Really do come true.

Bella Elizabeth, you are my dream come true. We already love you more than you can possibly imagine. So hang on, sweet girl. We’re coming for you! See you in a few days, honey. We’ll meet you in China.

With All My Heart,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment