Monday, January 8, 2018

Throwing Down, Uptown: Raleigh Turns Six!

Several months ago, I gave Raleigh six or seven options for birthday party ideas. There was one that was different than the others, in that it would mean not having an actual "party" (as in, the kind where we invite her friends and have some sort of fun theme at a standard party-type place). Without hesitation, she chose the non-party option: a night in a hotel with her momma! I'm not going to lie: I was SO excited! Not only because I would be able to get some good, quality time with my oldest girl, but also because it would mean very little party-planning on my behalf-ha! Always appreciated after a busy holiday season. :)

Nonetheless, I wanted to make sure it was a special, special celebration for my Raleigh Jane. We tried to make her feel special from the second her 6-year-old eyelids popped open last Friday (more on that later this week) and had so much fun celebrating our girl first as a family before she and I headed out for her birthday adventure that afternoon.

At 3:30 pm sharp, we loaded our packed bags in the car and drove Uptown (aka Charlotte) to let the partying begin! I had booked a room at the Renaissance Hotel, which is located directly next to SouthPark Mall (more on the reason for that in a sec). BUT. I didn't book just any room. No sirree bobtail. I booked the "American Girl Room." What is that, you may ask? Well, it's a doll-lovin' girl's version of pinkalicious heaven. :)


As soon as we walked in the hotel, Rals was given a personalized letter welcoming her and her doll, "Riley" :) , to the hotel and given a special sticker. When we opened the door to our room, she squealed: there was so much pink and girly fun! Pink blankets, pillows,  and towels; a pink trashcan, clock, robe, and beanbag. AND there was a doll-sized bed, blanket, slippers, and robe for "Riley" to keep. Rals couldn't believe it!!! We spent a few minutes jumping on the beds (and jumping off a chair and into the beanbag) before exploring the hotel.






The sweet bellman had given Rals a penny to use to make a wish in the hotel fountain. She told me her wish, and it melted this momma's heart. <3 She and I then threw our jackets on, grabbed "Riley," and walked straight outside and across the street to the mall, where we would be meeting my sister and my niece for dinner at the American Girl Cafe (hence why we wanted to stay directly next to this particular mall). 



The girls were so cute at dinner! We then let them roam the American Girl Store for a bit. Raleigh originally planned to have "Riley's" hair done - we even had an appointment in the doll salon! - but then decided, rather than wait, she'd rather go back to the hotel to swim. And what the birthday girl wants, the birthday girl gets!


So, we went back to our room, changed into our suits, and walked down to the indoor pool. We let the girls swim for a bit (I hopped in for a few minutes but the water was not quite warm enough for me to stay in long!) and then went back up to the room, where the girls were met with a fun surprise: strawberry milk and (pink) cookies! So, we got on our jammies, sang "Happy Birthday," and let the girls dig in! 






We then let them open the treat bags I had brought for them, which contained popcorn, juice boxes, and treats to enjoy while watching a movie in bed as well as "How to Draw a Princess" books that Raleigh's Nana and Pop had sent (two of!) for the girls to enjoy. :) We snuggled in, enjoyed Trolls, and finally called it a night shortly after 10:00 pm. Such a great day!



We awoke the next morning and let the girls draw some princesses before getting dressed and going down for breakfast. We concluded our stay with a little dance party in our room. :) Finally (sadly!), it was time to go. We packed up our things and hit the road, driving the 20 minutes back home. 






I just cannot say enough about the adorable accommodations. We had the best time! When I asked Raleigh what her favorite part was, she said, "Every part!!!" I would have to agree. It was definitely a birthday we won't soon forget. Happy 6th Birthday, sweet Raleigh. What a fun, fun time we had celebrating you!

No comments:

Post a Comment