Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Angels Among Us

Most of my favorite childhood memories are entwined with hers. 

Throughout high school, we were inseparable, despite attending rival high schools (and being captains of our rival varsity cheerleading squads). My weekends were her weekends. We did many things we weren't supposed to do, experienced life in a way that only we could, all the while knowing we were doing it together. She was my best friend and I was hers.

But there is one memory, one night, that always comes to mind first when I think of my beautiful friend. 

It was late. It was dark. We were sitting on the bow of a grounded sailboat on the lake. 

There were others nearby, but we had wandered off and found ourselves there, on the boat, deep in conversation.

We were new friends, but of the closest kind, and we talked for hours. 

Eventually, our conversation lead to a discussion of death. 

I spoke of my father's unexpected passing several years prior and the impact it had on my mother, siblings, and self. She spoke of the passing of her grandmother, with whom she had been close and missed terribly, and how it had affected her life. In the end, we agreed: there are Angels among us. And this brought both of us comfort.

My beautiful friend is, without question, a warrior. She is surrounded by love. She is surrounded by prayer. She is surrounded by Angels among us--I have absolutely no doubt about that.

But. 

I still ask, plead, and beg, with all that I am, for you to please take a moment to say a prayer for my beautiful friend, Amy. 

Yes, she is a warrior. She is a fighter. She is a woman of strength and love and grace and light. She is a beautiful soul. And one day, she will be the best kind of Angel among us. She already is. But for now, I simply ask for your prayers for her comfort and strength. 





No comments:

Post a Comment