Friday, October 17, 2014

Coffee Date Friday: Chock Full Edition

Helloooooo friends! I thought I'd switch things up for a bit and go back to posting "Coffee Date Friday," where we pull up a couple of virtual chairs, pour some virtual coffee, and have virtual conversation to catch up on the latest and greatest from the week. 

So. Were we meeting on this GLORIOUS Fall morning, for a cup o' joe, I would first ask how YOU are doing? Your family? Your friends? How was your week? Do anything fun? Whatcha got planned for the weekend? Is there anything you're struggling with? Anything you need to get off your chest? 

And then, after being properly saturated in all things YOU, I would share the following about me...

...that last Friday, Raleigh, Harrison, and I accompanied Banks on his first field trip of the year to the Bush-N-Vine Farm, and boy did we have fun! We learned all about pumpkins, took a hayride to see a beaver dam, and got to observe a working beehive (random, I know, but cool!). It's crazy to think that this is the last year Banks will attend his preschool, with the same classmates he's been with since he began there three years ago. It's really an awesome group of kids (and mommas!), and it's been so fun to watch them grow together. Anywho, I digress. We had a blast and are already looking forward to his next field trip in a couple months!


...that, speaking of school, we hit the jackpot with Banks' teachers this year! Both have many, many, many years of experience teaching kindergarten and are truly doing an awesome job preparing my little buddy for elementary school next year. Just this week, we started a reading program wherein he brings home a different book each week, and we practice reading it together each night, with me reading it the first two nights and him reading it the last two nights. Well, he knocked it out of the park this week, reading the whole (short) book by himself the first day! Way to go, buddy. And also? I walked into the kitchen one afternoon this week to find him sitting quietly at the table, a proud smile on his face, as he showed me what he had done: written his first ever sentence, phonetically decoding it all by himself. My eyes filled with tears as I had this flashback to holding him in my arms the day he was born and then seeing him sitting before me, a 5-year-old boy who had independently written, "I love you Dad" the best he could. Oh, my momma heart. 


...that, over the weekend, my sister, brother-in-law, and their new baby girl came to the Mill for a visit and we had so much fun together. We spent a little time exploring our little town but mainly stayed home so that we could soak in as many baby snuggles as posssible. And ohmygoodness, seeing the littlest cousins together was just the sweetest thing. Even though they are just 2 and 5 months old, her Skylar and my Harrison were in awe of each other. Melt.My.Heart. The weekend went by way too fast. But. It's one I will not soon forget. I just adore my precious niece!


...that I was so, so happy my hub didn't travel at all this week. This is extremely rare. So. I take full advantage when it happens. That means, not only spending time with him at night, but also squeezing in a little fun with my girlfriends. We started off the week by having some family fun with several other couples in the 'hood, getting together for some delicious homemade gumbo, fireside, with our boisterous crew of 10 adults and 15 kiddos! I was also able to squeeze in girls only movie night on Monday at a Cinnebarre, where I promptly ordered a glass of red wine to accompany the hot-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies I just had to have (side note: we saw "Gone Girl" and ohmyword. I'm still thinking about it five days later. Wowzer.). Then, I snuck out for a girls only wine night on Wednesday. Although it made for a busy week, it was definitely a fun one!


...that I love my neighborhood. I think that's probably pretty clear if you've read this blog for any amount of time (always, always, always recruiting!! Come one, come all!!). But. I especially love my 'hood when it comes to the holiday season. You see, I love me a good holiday celebration, and there is plenty of that to be had 'round these parts this time of year. Well, the month o' Halloween was officially kicked off when were "Boo'd" earlier this week. So much fun! And also? Look how much things have changed over the last two years with our "Boo" basket deliveries. Crazy!!

2012

2013

2014

...that my kind, adorable, smart, loving Raleigh Jane? She is reeeeeeally keeping us on our toes these days. I mean, she is T.R.O.U.B.L.E. While she is as sweet as can be, she is also very defiant, in a mischevious, who me?, bat-her-eyelashes, surely-you-can't-get-upset-with-me, kind of way. For example? The other day, she was in timeout, and I told her not to suck her finger while sitting in her timeout chair. She oh-so-stealthily snuck out of her chair and crept over to the door, trying to close it ever so slightly, so that it was at such an angle that I wouldn't be able to see her sucking her finger since she had shut the door just the right amount to block my view. And this is just one small example of my little trouble-maker. Add about 15 more similar incidents and you'll have one typical day with our girl. And we have tried just about everything I can think of to promote better "listening ears." I mean, y'all. I am a child psychologist for heaven's sake, yet my 2-going-on-14-year-old has me stumped. Luckily, our LifeGroup just started a new 6-week series on a different style of parenting, and I'm hoping a new approach will help. I mean, if Jesus can't help me with this one, I'm not sure who can. Ha!


...Lastly, that my hub and I are headed out of town in just a bit to finally celebrate our 10-year anniversary (which was delayed since we added a certain someone to our family a month before the actual anniversary). We rented a beautiful cabin a couple hours away that is supposed to have beautiful mountain and lake views. I cannot wait! Ever since my hub took his new, extremely busy job, and we added family member #5 to our clan, it often feels like we are two ships passing in the night. So. I am really excited for a whole weekend away, where we can have real, non-interrupted conversation, sip delicious wine, have tasty food, enjoy the beautiful views from the outdoor hot tub, and see where the weekend takes us. Meanwhile, our three babies will be soaking up time with their Nana and Pop back at home and cheering on the Tigers from afar, of course, like the biggest little Tiger fans that they are:


And on that note, with our cups empty and the clock a tickin', I would give you a big hug before throwing my bags in the car and hitting the road. See you for coffee again next week, same time, same place. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment