Friday, August 21, 2015

Hello, Kindergarten!

Shooey! The first week of elementary school is officially in the books, and we are one tired crew! Nonetheless, this week was a smashing success for my kindergartner. I could not have asked for a better start, and I know this will be an awesome year! That being said, here's a little of what was going on with our family this week as we began this new chapter: 

The desk! My hub and I surprised Banks last week by telling him that he and his daddy were going to be building his very own "office" in his room. You see, Banks is obsessed with his daddy's office, and we thought it would be nice for him to have a little workspace all his own where he could work on his homework this year. Banks and his daddy worked on building his desk throughout the week, and I worked on finding some fun accessories for it. We didn't let Banks see the finished product until the big reveal, and needless to say, he LOVED it!!!


 



The first day! The big day had finally arrived. As I tucked my buddy into bed that night, I read him the very book my own momma gave me when I left for college. And then I walked downstairs and burst in tears. We're talking full on sobs. I just couldn't believe that the little boy I had cradled in my arms seemingly moments ago was headed to kindergarten. Luckily, I was able to get all my tears out so that the next morning, the big day, was a smashing success! Banks was SO excited when I went in his room to get him up that morning. He was already dressed and sitting at his new desk doing "work." He looked up at me. "Is it time, Momma?" "It's time, buddy!" And off we went! Our whole family of five drove Banks to school, and he did not show a second of hesitation, walking proudly to his classroom and immediately selecting a book to read while waiting for the rest of his classmates to arrive. A quick kiss, and I was on my way home!




Mimosas for the Mommas! To help distract some of us Class of 2028 kindergarten mommas from sending our babies off to school, I hosted a "Mimosas for the Mommas" that morning. It was so nice to not only see so many sweet momma faces I know and love, but also to provide hugs, support, and cheers! to each other as we welcomed in this new chapter. 


Post-school, Day 1! Let's just say I was so excited to see Banks' smiling face that I totally forgot to put Raleigh down for her nap that day! I was just counting down the minutes until I could pick my kindergartener up from school and hear all about his day! We drew a little surprise for him in the driveway and then treated him to snow cones to celebrate his success. "What was your most favorite part?" I asked him. "That's a hard question!" he said. "Why?" I asked. "Because we did so many fun things!!!" he explained. Y'all. He just LOVES school! Such an answered prayer!




The bus! Over the years, as I thought about elementary school, I never had intentions of my kiddos riding the bus. But Banks begged, begged, to ride the bus, and I just couldn't refuse. I felt very comfortable with it, as he knows so many older buddies who ride his bus (and his bus is only for kids from our neighborhood; so there are lots of familiar faces. Actually, there are THREE elementary buses for our neighborhood alone! We have tons of kiddos 'round these parts!). Anywho. We drove him to school the first two days but let him start riding the bus on Wednesday. And ohmygoodness, he may have been even more excited to ride the bus than he was for the first day of school. My hub walked him to the bus stop (which is directly across the street from our house), and I watched from our front stoop as he boarded the bus. The bus then drove down the street before circling back around and driving back past, and y'all. If you could have seen his precious face out the window. He was so excited, smiling as hard as he could and waving with all his might. <3






Sky Zone! And yes, there are two other sweet kiddos in our family who have been so supportive of their big brother, and all the attention he has gotten, over the last week, so I decided to do something fun for them and take them to "toddler time" at a big trampoline park called "Sky Zone." I will say that I really missed having our Banks with us, but I think Raleigh and Harrison would say...it was SO MUCH FUN!!! They had the best time and just laughed and jumped and dove and smiled. I'd say it was a good week for all, especially since...


First dance class! ...Raleigh started dance yesterday! She is doing a combo tap/ballet class on Thursday mornings, and she has been wearing her sweet little tap shoes around our house ever since we bought them several weeks ago. I danced throughout my childhood, and was a Rally Cat at Clemson; so, it just made my heart soar to see that she loves it so much, too! I can't wait to see what this year holds for her! 



Like I said, shooey! What a week! And there's no rest of the weary, as we have a solo momma weekend ahead while daddy has a weekend away with his college best buds, Banks' first ever football practice bright and early tomorrow, and one of my college best buds and her adorable 3-year-old twins coming to stay with us for the weekend. Whew!

One last thing: I want to say thank you to my wonderful family and friends for the many prayers, phone calls, texts, hugs, updates-and-Banks-sightings-from school, check-ins, etc., over the last week. You made this big adjustment so much easier and smoother for our family, and I love you so much for it! 

Y'all have a great weekend. :) See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment