Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Thankfulness

It is Thanksgiving week, and I wanted to take a few minutes to share just a few of the things I am feeling especially thankful for this year:

Bella's birth mom. I think about her all the time - the amazing woman who gave birth to my daughter. I don't know anything about her. I don't know her name nor her age. I don't know if she is married nor if she has other children.  I don't know how excruciating it must have been to have to leave her beautiful newborn that day over 2.5 years ago. What I do know is that she gave birth to the most amazing little girl - one who is resilient and strong, silly and loveable, joyful and affectionate. One who leaves an impactful impression on all she meets. One who is adored by her big brothers and sisters. One who melts her Dada's heart and makes her Momma cry tears of love and gratitude regularly. I know that I will forever be thankful to the woman who gave me one of the greatest gifts of my life, my Bella Elizabeth. There is so much more I want to say about, and to, her. But for now, this Thanksgiving, I will think of her while introducing our Bella to the amazingness that is the holiday season. 


Family and friends. One of the most valuable lessons I have learned over the last 18 months, since our adoption journey officially began, is how invaluable supportive loved ones are. We are incredibly thankful to have so many family members and friends who have walked alongside us each step of our journey to Bella and who have continued to support, nurture, and care for us since she has come home. I am so indescribably grateful for our village. 

This is why, perhaps, what happened on Sunday evening felt that much more meaningful this year. My hub and I, along with two of our closest friends, co-hosted our 2nd Annual Friendsgiving. Not only was it a way for us to gather 25 families from our neighborhood for food, festivities, and fun, but it was a way for us to say "Thank you!!" for being exactly who you are: friends we love and appreciate so very much. 

This year, we had somewhere around 48 grownups and 63 kids who joined in the action, and we had such a great time feasting with our friends! My hub took charge of frying up six turkeys and each of the families who came signed up to bring appetizers, sides, desserts, and wine. This year, we opted to host it at the amenities center right in our own neighborhood, which not only made the location very convenient for our guests but also provided plenty of space, and a playground, for all the kiddos to run around and have a grand ol' time. 

My favorite moment, though, was when my hub expressed our gratitude to our friends before offering the blessing - to say thank you for supporting us in our journey to bring Bella home. To have so many people we love in one place at one time, to be able to say how much we appreciate each and every one of them, was a perfect way to start off this week of Thanksgiving. <3





You. Friends, just so you know, I am incredibly thankful for all of you. Those who take time to stop by my little space here. Those who have reached out in prayer, love, and support. Those who have contacted me about pursuing adoption. Those who regularly lift my spirits when things feel hard and overwhelming. I know this is just a silly lil' blog, but it has been such a blessing in so many ways. So, thank you for continuing to travel alongside us with each passing year. It is a privilege to have you join me here. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I'll be taking the rest of the week off to focus on my family but will be back next week with some recapping and some fun posts on the horizon. May your feasts be filled with thankfulness and love. 

Oh, and GO TIGERS!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment