Sunday, December 23, 2018

Christmas Traditions of Old and New

If you know me, or have been 'round these parts for a minute, then you probably know that I LOVE holidays (and birthdays and celebrations and, well, you get the point). I am big on traditions and love carrying on both those I remember as a child and those my little fam and I have created on our own. 

Here's the thing: I have only a few, short years - the blink of an eye, really - when I'll have four little ones at home. Four little ones whose holiday joy I take very seriously. So, I may go over-the-top for all things celebration, but these are the days I hope they remember oh-so-fondly. I know I will. <3 

Some of our traditions? 
  • Painting pottery. For the last seven years, I have taken the kiddos to paint pottery sometime during the month of December. They LOVE doing this, and I benefit as well: I use the opportunity to paint a piece of pottery for the Christmas dinnerware we use for our dinner on Christmas day. Some years (including this year!), my hub's work schedule allows for him to join us, and I enjoy it so much. 
  • Visiting Santa. One of my favorite days of December! Some years, one of my kiddos has screamed in terror (honestly? these are my favorite Santa pics). Always, magic is made during the visit. I will never forget last year, Bella's first Christmas at home. She had been a member of the Lu Crew for just over four months when we went to see the Jolly ol' Soul. She was cautious, observant, taking it all in. And then, Santa started talking to her in Mandarin. As my eyes welled with tears I asked him, "How Santa? How do you know how to speak Chinese?" With a twinkle in his eye, he responded, "Because I'm Santa." Pure magic, I tell ya. 
  • Weekend Christmas with each "side" of the family. During two weekends in the month of December, we visit each "side" of the family to celebrate Christmas with grandparents, siblings, nieces, and nephews, and it is just so special. Seeing my kiddos with their cousins, who they adore!!, and their loving grandparents and aunts and uncles, well, it makes my heart so full. 
 
  • Cutting down our own tree. We have visited the same Christmas Tree Farm since we moved to the Mill back in 2012 and look forward to it each year. Some years, we find a real beaut. Other years (like this one), we just can't find the tree we're a' searchin' for, so we enjoy our visit and then find it elsewhere. Regardless, always a festive day, one that ends with us decorating our tree while Christmas music plays, hot chocolate is devoured, and our stockings are hung by the chimney with care. 
  • The Nutcracker. Oh, I love this tradition SO much!!! For several years now, Raleigh and I have been going to Columbia City Ballet's The Nutcracker, most years with both of her grandmothers joining us. I love it so, so much. <3
  • Christmas Eve service. We always attend Christmas Eve service at our beloved church. There was even that one year I was pregnant with Harrison and Clay and the flu, and still, I took my little Banks and Raleigh to church solo-mommma style - the most beautiful service of the year that brings me to tears every time! 
  • Christmas morning stair photo. Just as I did as a child, bright and early Christmas morning, the kids have to wait at the top of the stairs (and have their photo taken), before coming down to see the loot that Santa left. Even before this, though, large cups of coffee are poured for us grownups and Christmas music is streamed through our speakers to make the house feel extra festive. :) 
  • Just the six of us. Christmas is spent with just the six of us. We don't leave the house, instead relishing in one another's company and enjoying all the new toys and gear that were gifted that morning. And the menu that day is always the same: casserole for breakfast, apps for lunch, and a Daddy-made dinner, eating around our festively decorated dining room table (the only meal of the year we use it - ha!). 

And, as of last year, we have a few new traditions we will be repeating this year (and hopefully, for many years to come) : 
  • Cookie dough for others. As many of y'all may remember, I homemade and decorated well over 1000 cookies as an adoption fundraiser for our Bella. I loved being able to create so many special treats for so many special people. While I have had to put my cookie decorating passion on hold for a bit given the busy-ness of our therapy and school and extracurricular schedules, last year, I offered to make my non-spreading cookie dough for neighbors for purchase. You see, unlike store-bought dough, my cookie does.not.spread.; so, instead of reindeer and snowmen blobs, the cookies that are cut out with cutters and exactly what come out of the oven after baking. And I offered the same thing to my neighbors again this year! Over the last week, I have fulfilled 82 orders of my cookie dough - whew! But also? So fun for this baking momma! And I love giving nearly all of the proceeds to those who may need a little extra merry in their Christmas this year. <3 #docmommabakes
  • Boat carolling. Some of our dear friends invited us to join them for the first annual Christmas Eve Boat Carolling last year, and it was a blast! Plans have already been made, and we'll be singing our jolliest carols TONIGHT!!! Neighbors, keep an eye out - we're coming for you!
  • Winterfest. Last year, Carowinds (a huge amusement park located just 10 minutes from our house, on the SC/NC border) introduced Winterfest. We attended, and we LOVED it! They open some of the rollercoasters and other rides, offer seasonal specialties like ice-skating and even a post office to write letters to Santa, have special shows, and even make it snow!!! Weather permitting, we'll be headed back there one weeknight next week (unbeknownst to the kids ;) ). 

So, if it's not clear ;), I love Christmas!! Here's hoping your December is feeling festive as well and that lots of fun plans lie ahead! And if you have any special traditions you love, let me know - I love adding new, fun events to our family holiday schedule and would love to add some new adventures next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment