Monday, November 25, 2019

A Magical Weekend in the Unicorn Cabin

Pretty much every time our little fam goes on vacation, it is with other people - family or dear friends we love. And don't get me wrong: we LOVE spending time with the ones we love! But, I also crave time with just My Lu Crew, especially as my kiddos are getting older and spending more and more of their free time with their friends. I just miss them sometimes, even though we are all sleeping under the same roof. 

So, a couple months ago, my hub and I decided it'd be nice to sneak away to the mountains for the weekend, just the six of us. I had two criteria when looking for the perfect little cabin for our retreat: (1) I wanted beautiful views, and (2) I wanted it to be near a reputable Christmas Tree farm. I did some research and discovered there was a highly rated tree farm in West Jefferson, North Carolina. I then found the best little cabin, and get this: it's called The Unicorn Cabin. Done! I booked it and eagerly awaited the weekend after Thanksgiving, when we would be making our trip. 

Only, I completely screwed up. You see, I didn't book it for the weekend after Thanksgiving. I accidentally booked it for the weekend before Thanksgiving. Oops. If you know me, you know that organization is my love language (Enneagram Type3 with a splash of Type 1 thrown in for good measure); so, I couldn't believe I had booked the wrong dates. And I quickly discovered that it wasn't available for rent the weekend after Thanksgiving. Luckily, our calendar was free from any major obligations for the weekend I had accidentally booked. All that to say...over the weekend we headed to our Unicorn Cabin in West Jefferson, North Carolina, and just had the best time!! 

We left the second our Big 3 got off the bus on Friday afternoon (did I mention we didn't tell them until that moment? I wish I had videoed their reactions! They were SO excited!!! They literally just threw down their book bags, climbed in our packed car, and off we went!). It was a little over a 2-hour drive, and once we arrived, we took in our digs for the weekend. This cabin was awesome!!! There was enough room that another family could have easily joined us, and the basement bunk beds and air hockey table were huge hits!!








Knowing that the forecast called for rain alllllllll day Saturday, we ended our first night by taking advantage of the outdoor fire pit, making s'mores with the sweet treats the house owners had left as a token of their appreciation. <3







The ONLY thing I wanted to do Saturday was visit the Christmas Tree Farm that had been the entire inspiration for this trip and the reason we had booked the cabin that we did. It was a mere 4.5 miles away and opened at 9:00 am sharp (and luckily, it was opening day!). Unfortunately, as I mentioned, it was supposed to rain all day long. But I was determined; so, we bundled up in coats and rain gear, grabbed our umbrella, and headed out the door to Frosty's Tree Farm. 






You guys. Ohmyheart. This tree farm is what Christmas dreams are made of. Even with the rain lightly falling, it was just heavenly. We pulled up right as it opened and cozied up in the quaint barn while waiting for the covered, tractor-pulled hayride to arrive. After we loaded up, we took in the sights and were immediately in awe of all of the beautiful trees! So.Many.Gorgeous.Trees. Not surprisingly, we ended up selecting the first one we laid eyes upon, and I swear it's the prettiest tree we've ever had! We watched as it was cut down and tagged and then headed back to the barn to warm up, dry off, snap a few pics, and enjoy some hot chocolate and freshly baked Christmas cookies. We shopped around, where I found a hand painted ornament to commemorate our trip as well as a handmade coffee mug (which I always love to buy when visiting new, loved places). 









Finally, it was time to head back to the cabin with our tree in tow. Once we arrived back "home," we put on our coziest clothes and spent the rest of the day playing board game after board game, watching college football, napping, engaging in a double elimination air hockey tourney, putting on shows (the kids - we parents served as the audience), and enjoying the delicious dinner my hub made with the groceries we had brought with us. It was such a wonderful day, that ended all snuggled on the couch while watching a new Christmas movie, called Klaus. 









We awoke to the most gorgeous sunrise which was made even more beautiful with, to our surprise, a sprinkling of snow that had fallen over night. It truly was such a special weekend. 


We then packed our things and headed back home, knowing full well a new tradition had been born, and feeling ever so thankful heading into this, our week of thanksgiving. Thank you for the beautiful family memories, Unicorn Cabin. We'll be back, one year from now... <3 And now, we are so thankful to celebrate with family we love this week. I'll be taking the rest of the week off to soak in quality time with our extended family but will be back next week to share our week of Thanksgiving as we await all the beauty that December has to offer. Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving family and friends. I am oh so thankful for you. <3







No comments:

Post a Comment