Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Books of 2019

I made a goal for myself at the start of the year: to read two books per month for the duration of 2019. I hadn't regularly read "for fun" in years and thought this would be a good way to challenge myself. 

Challenge: Accepted. 

And now that 2019 is coming to a close, I am happy to say, 

Challenge: Complete! 

I actually ended up surpassing my goal, reading 29 books for fun this year! And I thought it'd be fun to share that list with y'all, in case you are looking for some good reads for the Christmas break or new year. 

One thing that I noticed is that I was really drawn to two genres this year: 

(1) World War II books. This began when I read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah at the end of last year, which is now one of my all-time favorite books (The Great Alone by her is also fantastic). It just felt like so many millions of people had suffered through unspeakable trauma, loss, and grief, and I began to feel like I needed to honor their stories by learning more about them and reading as much historical fiction (and non-fiction) on this topic as possible. That being said, one of my most favorite books of this year was Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan. It is absolutely fantastic. 

(2) Memoirs. I love people. I love people's stories. I love learning about the struggles different people have faced, how they have overcome them, and what they have learned from them. I read numerous memoirs this year, and while it is hard to choose, I have to say that two tie for my favorite: Educated by Tara Westover and Rabbit: The Autobiography of Ms. Pat by Patricia Williams

Before I share my complete list of all of my 2019 reads, I have to share my absolute favorite book of the year: Everybody Always by Bob Goff. I gifted this to every dear friend in my life who had birthdays that fell after I finished reading it (which will continue until I have gifted it to all of my closest friends). It is life-changing, transformative, inspirational, and an amazing read. I actually listened to it on Audible...twice. Bob Goff reads it aloud himself, and it is just so powerful to hear his own stories told through his own voice. Friends, get this one. You will love it, I promise. 

Anywho. Here we go! Presenting the list of my 2019 books, placed in roughly the order of my favorites (these are hard to rank because truly, I loved almost all of them; so, even the books towards the bottom of the list are worth a read!). Ready? Let's do it!

Everybody Always by Bob Goff
Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan
Educated by Tara Westover
Rabbit: The Autobiography of Ms. Pat by Patricia Williams
Same Kind of Different As Me by Denver Moore and Ron Hall
Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and Love by Carole Radziwill
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Love Does by Bob Goff
Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan
Hidden Girl by Shyima Hall
When We Left Cuba by Chanel Cleeton
Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
#IMomSoHard by Kristin Hensley and Jen Smedley
Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Inside Out: A Memoir by Demi Moore 
A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner
I Ain’t Doin’ It: Unfiltered Thoughts from a Sarcastic Southern Sweetheart by Heather Land
The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
Can't Make This Stuff Up! by Susan B. Lewis
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
Columbine by Dave Cullen
My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
The Other Woman by Sandie Jones
The Date by Louise Jensen

And there you have it, friends! I actually currently have one last book on my nightstand I plan to read before the end of 2019 (We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter) so that I can end 2019 having read 30 books. I hope this list was helpful! And PLEASE let me know if you have a favorite that I need to add to my list of must-reads for 2020! Happy reading, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment