Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 16th

June 16th is the hardest day of the year for me. 

It is the anniversary of my dad's unexpected passing, which will make 23 years ago this Sunday. I was 9 years old when he died. 

As it happens sometimes, this year, June 16th falls on Father's Day. 

But. 

Do you know what else happened on June 16th? On June 16, 2002, to be exact? 

I started dating my hub. 

And do you know what was supposed to happen on June 16, 2003 (but actually happened the night before because he was too excited to wait)? 

My hub proposed.

So. 

While June 16th is certainly the hardest day of the year for me, it is also a day that I am so very grateful for. 

Because rather than focus on unexpected losses, I focus on unexpected gains. 

I may have lost my dad on June 16th, but I also met the best dad I have ever known on June 16th, who just so happens to be the father of my children. 

So. 

This June 16th, I will celebrate the fact that my hub came into my life for a reason, at the exact time, on the exact day, that he did, for a reason. 

Because I absolutely believe that things happen for a reason. 

I think June 16th is proof of that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment