Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dear Banks,

Today is your first day of 3-year-old preschool. Wow, buddy! It's so hard to believe that you are just a couple short years away from starting elementary school. 

From the day we met, I knew you were someone so very special. And when you looked up at me with your beautiful blue eyes, I knew in an instant I would spend the rest of my life making sure you knew, every single day, how very much you are loved. And oh, my little boy, how you are loved. 

When I held you in my arms that day, I knew in an instant I would spend my life making sure you always felt safe, secure, and protected. Somedays, I do that a little too well, I think. I protect you from hypotheticals. I stop you from doing things before you can get hurt. I step in after imaging the worst, before it even has a chance to happen. This is a Momma flaw, I know, because sometimes we grow the most after we have been hurt. This is not to say I am going to throw caution to the wind when it comes to keeping you safe and protected.  However. This is to say that I recognize that I need to step back sometimes and let you figure things out. 

But. 

I am still your Momma, after all. And that being said, here are a few things I hope you will carry with you as you begin another school year:

  • I believe in you. In all that you are. In all that you will be. Always. I will always believe you in. And I will always be your biggest fan. 
  • Be kind to your teachers. Be kind to your friends. Kindness is the secret to happiness. Make others feel happy. And you, too, will feel happy. 
  • Always use your manners. This means never forget to say please and thank you. Those three words are the most important in the English language. Also, you are a Southern gentleman. Remember your ma'ams and sirs. 
  • Apologize when you make mistakes. We all make them, and that's okay! Recognize when they happen. And apologize for them. No one deserves to have their feelings hurt, including you. If someone else makes a mistake, be quick to forgive. 
  • Exercise is important. So, so important. We have one body and it is important to take good care of it. Do you know which is your strongest muscle? Your brain. Learning is powerful. It is the best exercise for your brain. Listen to all that your teachers teach you. Watch your friends around you and learn from them. Help others learn from you. A strong brain is a beautiful and powerful thing.
  • Friends are invaluable. Be friends with everyone in your class: The boys. The girls. Those who are short. Those who are tall. Those who are quiet. Those who are loud. Those who like racecars. Those who don't. Each of your classmates is special in his or her own way. You are so lucky to have each other! Be nice to each other, and try to play with everybody at least once a week. 
  • I love hearing about the things you discover each day! Never be afraid to tell me what happens at school. You are one of the most important parts of my whole life, and I love to hear what you see, hear, think, and feel. Know that I am ALWAYS ready to listen. Always.
  • I will always, ALWAYS pick you up. As much as you can depend on the leaves changing color in the Fall, you can depend on me being there, at the end of each day, to see your beautiful, smiling face. 
  • Have fun each and every day, as much as possible! Of course, there are times we also need to be serious, when we need to sit still, be patient, and listen quietly. Those moments are important, too. But it's also important to try and squeeze all the fun we can out of every day.
  • I love you with all my heart. Do you know who else loves you with all His heart? God. And that is so, so special. You are well-loved and always will be. 

Now, my sweet boy, is your time to shine. I promise to step back, at least a little, and let you start to figure out some of this world without me. But. I also promise to always be here if your light starts to dim. But for today? Shine on, my Sunshine. Shine on. 


With All My Heart, 

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment