Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Atlanta Home Tour: My Favorite Rooms

Before we pack our things and bid Atlanta adieu, I wanted to share some of the home we'll be leaving behind. This is a very, very special place to us. Both of our children had their first rooms in this home, which brings me to this post: I wanted to capture their rooms for my own (selfish) memories before we cross state lines for good. Although my firstborn was the original inhabitant of the nursery, he has since graduated to his own "big boy room." So, let's start there...

It took me months and months to decide on the theme for my little buddy’s big boy room. Finally, though, the concept began to take shape and I fell in love: an airplane room! Of course, I scoured Pinterest as well as various blogs for inspiration. I could not be happier with how it turned out: just enough detail without going over the top with décor. Now, for the goods:

I love my boy’s bedding. It is something we can use for years, with various wall colors, and it does not scream “baby boy.” The madras print is versatile and masculine. It is perfect for my little guy (and it is from Pottery Barn Kids in case you are interested--pretty sure they still have it).


My favorite part of the room: the high-flying planes that graze the open-air. These were finds from Hobby Lobby, and you would have thought I won the lottery when I spotted them that fateful day-they were the inspiration for the room.


This heart-felt piece holds a lot of meaning for my family. It is the purple heart that my hub’s great uncle was awarded as a result of his courageous efforts in the Korean War. He just so happens to be the namesake for my son’s middle name, and we are incredibly honored to be able to display this piece of memorabilia in our home.


I have to admit: I love the lamp I (very easily!) made for this room. I wanted to pull in the airplane theme and did so with the help of an airplane punch, scrapbook paper, spray glue (used to adhere the airplanes to the underside of the lampshade, creating a shadow effect), and navy blue ribbon. Cheap but effective (two of my favorite things). And no this was not an original idea. Thank you, Pinterest.



I will take credit for the coming up with the idea of framing postcards of biplanes. An inexpensive but fun detail for the room.



I cannot take credit for the propeller clock, airplane wood art, or “F-L-Y” letters that hug the wall over my little guy's bed. These were also from Hobby Lobby, the greatest place on Earth (or is that Disney World?). 


So, there you have it. A few of my favorite details from my big boy's room. Here’s to dreams of flying high…


 

Next up, the nursery!

I cannot tell you how excited I was to find out I was pregnant with my second child. My son had been a surprise pregnancy; so, I got to avoid the months and months of trying to get pregnant and then being heart-broken each month after seeing a big fat NEGATIVE on the pregnancy test. With my daughter, my hub and I were trying to get pregnant and it was many months before I saw that beautiful word, PREGNANT, on the pregnancy test, at which point I immediately burst into tears and dropped to my knees, thanking God for the amazing blessing. 


Thanks to the Pinterest era, which continues to be rockin’ and rollin’, it was much easier to browse for nursery decoration ideas the second time around. Then, when we found out we were having a girl (a girl!), I quickly decided that I didn’t want the typical, pastel, ultra-feminine nursery. Sure, I still wanted girly flair (after all, "ruffle" is my middle name), but I wanted an edge to the room as well; so, I quickly decided on the color palette: pale pink and navy blue. I absolutely loved it! Still do! 

First, the bedding. I can’t take credit for making this (Doc Momma + sewing = disaster). Although I now have navy blue polka dot sheets from Pottery Barn Kids instead of the plain white crib sheet pictured here, the crib skirt and bumpers were custom made from an etsy seller. I am OBSESSED with ruffles and knew I absolutely had to have a ruffled crib skirt to "girl up" the masculine color. I wanted a patterned bumper and opted for damask, which would also give the navy blue bedding a more feminine feel. I also ordered a damask pillow to match the oh-my-Lawd-what-did-we-ever-do-without-the Best Chair chair.


The wreath. Again, I cannot take credit for creating this. It is someone else’s work (shout out to etsy), but I absolutely love it.


I did make the fabric hoops and embellished them with different details, which probably took all of 15 minutes total. I also came up with the idea of the ruffled “Little Sister” chalkboard--side note: I love the chalkboard trend plastered all over Pinterest these days. Don't you? 


 

Another of my favorite details: the homemade lampshade with rosettes. This was beyond easy, too. Ruffled ribbon + glue gun = easy new lampshade. And three cheers for Pinterest and it's bazillion rosette tutorials.


The fabric-covered birdhouse. I used the same fabrics I used to cover the back of the bookcase and covered the birdhouse in it. Gives another navy blue punch to the room. Oh, and the shadow box behind it now houses my little lady's pink and white coming-home-from-the-hospital outfit. Which is now too tiny to even imagine she was ever able to fit in it.



Perhaps my favorite thing I have ever made (again, idea adapted from Pinterest...shocker!) is the framed tree with lyrics from “Our song” (with “our” being mine and my daughter’s song): “Isn’t She Lovely?”. The hearts hanging from the tree have her monogram and date of birth. This was a labor of love and I adore it for all of the meaning behind it.


I’m sure pretty much everyone has seen the button initial canvas from Pinterest. Easy to do with a very cute result (oh, and those empty frames now house pictures of my girl with my hub and me from her newborn photo shoot). Seems like yesterday...

 
I also love the burlap and heart bunting that floats under the shelves. An extremely easy-to-make final touch to hang over the changing table.


So there you have it. Maybe my favorite room in our Atlanta home.


 

Just a few more weeks and I'll be attempting to recreate these rooms in our new home. However, I will never, ever forget the many wonderful memories that were made in these two rooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment