Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wee One Wednesday: First Trimester So Far

Well, as I proudly shared on Facebook and Instagram two days ago, we are expecting Baby Luton #3, aka Baby Lu!!! And we could not be more excited to be growing our family!!!

I did not do a good job of documenting my pregnancies with Banks and Raleigh. And thought maybe I should finally do it. So. Enter Wee One Wednesday. From now until the end of my pregnancy, I vow to do a weekly post updating all things Baby Lu.

Although we have known our exciting news since August 23rd, we didn't want to shout it from the rooftops until we were a little later into the pregnancy. Well, as of two days ago, we've now had two ultrasounds and feel good about sharing our news. 

Clearly, I have a lot of catching up to do. So, this initial Wee One Wednesday post will be a littttttle long and will summarize my progress to date. I promise, in the remaining Wee One posts, I will just go week-by-week; so, they will be much, MUCH shorter than this novel of a post I've been writing the last couple of months. :) 

**WARNING** Bare belly pics follow. If you don't wanna see 'em, feel to scroll on down or close out your browser......now. And I promise, these bare belly pics will not continue as I grow large and in-charage. I'll cover up my expanding midsection for my weekly photo session. But for now? When the belly is slow to grow, I'll show bare belly so I can document the slow progression of my wee one. 

So. Here we go!

WEEK 3 (the week we found out): 

I found out I was pregnant on a Friday afternoon. At least, I thought I saw that telltale second line on the pregnancy test. But I was only 9 days post ovulation, and I tested in the middle of the day, so it was quite a squinter. Actually, at first, the test looked stark white to me. But then, when I held it up to the light at just the right angle, I could see the faintest of lines, almost invisible to the naked eye. Still, though, I had doubts. So, I did what any Momma would do. I enjoyed one last beer (I had just stocked our adult beverage supply), crossed my fingers, and said some prayers that I would have a clearly visible line in the morning. My hub came home from a week-long work trip late that night, but I kept the news to myself, waiting 'til I was 100% sure the next morning. I awoke at 4:00 am, anxious to take another test. And so I did. By myself. And then said some prayers while I waited, alone in the still of the night, for the 3 minutes to pass. And then, I saw this:


Yippee!!!!!!!!! My heart was overwhelmed with love and gratitude and I immediately began praying to the good Lord, thanking Him for the miracle inside while also praying with all my might for the same miracle to occur for those close to me who were wishing and hoping and praying for the same news. I then *tried* to go back to sleep. I knew who I wanted to tell first. And as soon as she awoke, I scooped up my Raleigh and shared with her that she would be a big sister. You see, when I found out I was pregnant with her, Banks was the first person I told; so, I thought it only fair that she be the first to be let in on our little secret. I then made a video of her saying she was going to be a big sister and summoned my hub to watch the cute video Raleigh had made for him. Needless to say, he was ecstatic. 

Oh, and  we waited several weeks to tell Banks? Because, as any Momma of a preschooler knows, secrets are pretty much non-existant among that bunch. :) 

And now, the details for Week 3:

Size of Baby: An itty, bitty, teeny, tiny ball of cells.

Maternity Clothes: Not even close. 

Symptoms: My skin looks like a teenager. Actually, this was one of my initial symptoms, before I even took a pregnancy test, that clued me in that I may be expecting. 

Gender: I didn't have a strong gender feeling as soon as I saw that positive test, the way that I knew Raleigh was a girl (and later in my first pregnancy, knew that Banks was a boy). I do now. More on that later...

Movement: Nada.

Sleep: I didn't sleep well at all this first week. Mainly because I so wanted others that I care so deeply about to be pregnant, too. As a result, I woke up almost every night this week and remained awake for at least an hour, unable to turn off my racing thoughts. 

What I Miss: Caffeine. And alcohol. I am a stickler when it comes to completely abstaining from these two, much-loved items (well, only from caffeine during the first tri). But oh how I miss them!

Cravings: Nuttin'. 

The Belly: Oops! I was so excited I forgot to take a belly pic this week. Onto Week 4...

WEEK 4: 

Size of Baby: The baby is the size of a poppy seed, almost too small to envision!

Maternity Clothes: Nope.

Symptoms: My skin still looks like a teenager. Lovely.

Gender: Still wavering a little but starting to get a stronger feeling about whether our little one will turn out to be a he or a she. 

Movement: Zip.

Sleep: Better this week. Thank goodness!

What I Miss: Caffeine. And alcohol. I will say, I have enjoyed a few (decaf) Pumpkin Spice Lattes and they have been DELICIOUS. And I managed to fake drinking at our first Clemson game, when we were tailgating all day, as well as on several occasions over the last two weeks when we've been around family and friends. If only they knew there was actually Gatorade in that beer can I'd been carrying around and chugging. 

Cravings: Guacamole! I made a yummy lunch of avocado, diced tomatoes, and Laughing Cow French Onion cheese on a pita. Hit the spot!

The Belly:
WEEK 5: 

Size of Baby: The baby is the size of a sesame seed.

Maternity Clothes: Still rockin' my regular clothes. 

Symptoms: My skin continues to look like a teenager. I feel a little more tired--I took naps a couple days this week while my babes were napping. I also get a little winded at times, but I am continuing my almost-daily walks and leg/arm workouts to try and stay active and healthy through my pregnancy. I have also noticed my heart beat is much more rapid at times, no doubt because of the significant increase in blood supply that accomplanies pregnancy. Otherwise, feeling well so far!

Gender: Both my hub and I think it's a BOY!! 

Movement: No ma'am.

Sleep: Not too shabby. I awoke a couple nights this week to use the restroom, but otherwise, I am sleeping well at night and sneaking in a nap or two during the week, too. 

What I Miss: Caffeine. And alcohol. And deli meat. 

Cravings: Keep the guacamole away! So funny that I was craving it last week. The thought of it this week makes my stomach turn. 

The Belly:
WEEK 6:

Size of Baby: The baby is 1/4 inch long, about the size of a lentil (Not gonna lie. I have no idea what a lentil is.)

Maternity Clothes: Nope! And hoping to get some wear out of these really cute, mustard yellow skinny jeans I bought earlier this summer to wear for Fall. So far, no rubberband trick needed yet. 

Symptoms: Tiiiiiired. I've been trying to sneak in cat naps this week but it's been hard because I've been running around like a mad woman trying to get things ready for my sister's bridal shower. I still have yucky skin and some slight nausea but nothing to write home about. I am STARVING. Seriously, I feel so hungry every few hours, no matter how much I've eaten just a couple hours before. And don't worry, I am totally indulging by eating any and everything in sight. :) Also, very vivid dreams. 

Gender: Well, I think we've decided on full names for both a boy and a girl already! We both still think it's a boy, although I do have girl thoughts creep in at times. And I had a very vivid dream it was a girl. Only 33 more weeks 'til we'll know. :)

Movement: Not a thing. 

Sleep: Bleh. I've been waking up in the middle of the night and having trouble falling back to sleep. Looks like pregnancy insomnia strikes again.

What I Miss: Caffeine. And alcohol. Just assume I'll say that every week, although I fully intend to resume caffeine consumption once I hit second tri. Come on second tri!

Cravings: A plain, McDonald's cheeseburger. HAD to be McDonald's but I did not indulge this craving. Salsa. Sushi--oh, I miss sushi! Chinese food-yum!

The Belly:
WEEK 7:

Size of Baby: Our little bundle of joy has doubled in size this week and is now roughly 1/2 inch long, the size of a large blueberry. 

Maternity Clothes: None here. Although my shorts are feeling a little snugger in the belly region some days.

Symptoms: Nausea. Oh, such bad nausea this week. It left me bedridden one day over the weekend because I felt just terrible. Imagine a horrible hangover. Every day. Without having had a drop to drink the night before. Yuck. And also? T-I-R-E-D. And the continuation of skin like a teenager. A little bloating. Oh, first tri. 

Gender: Despite my strong boy feeling a couple weeks ago, now I'm thinking girl. So much for Momma intuition. Honestly though? I think maybe this is because I really want Raleigh to have a sister. And also honestly? I am in love with the name we've chosen for a little girl. So there's that. 

Movement: Zero.

Sleep: Pregnancy insomnia just won't quit. Bleh. I am SO tired.  

What I Miss: Sushi. So much. And actually, unlike previous weeks, the thought of alcohol makes me want to vomit. 

Cravings: Dips-salsa, queso. Split pea with ham and bacon soup-YUM! Cold seafood alfredo. Shirley Temples (i.e., Sprite with cherry juice). Southern fixins' a la mac and cheese, fried okra, and green beans. 

The Belly:

WEEK (8) 9:

Size of Baby: This week was HUGE for us because we had our first OB/GYN appointment and ultrasound. Yippee!! Anyone who's ever been pregnant knows it feels like a lifetime while you are waiting for that first appointment, to see the flicker of that precious little heartbeat. Well, our little one measured at 9 weeks exactly, instead of 8 weeks, 2 days, as I was expecting; so, I just have to skip over the Week 8 post entirely! This puts the due date at May 2nd, although we will be having a late April baby since I will be having a repeat C-section. Raleigh came with my hub and me to our first appointment (Banks was in school), and we told Banks on his birthday that he's going to be a big brother again. He said he wants another sister. :) 

Our sweet little one had a strong heart rate of 182. And our baby is now roughly one inch long, about the size of a grape.


Maternity Clothes: Still wearing my regular ol' clothes, although some of my shorts continue to feel a little snug some days. 

Symptoms: Tired (still). Nauseous (still). Starving multiple times a day, no matter how much I eat (still). And a fun new symptom: joint pain?! What the?! My right knee and shoulder, my left elbow and hip. Ooooookay.

Gender: I felt so strongly the baby was a boy just a few weeks ago and now I definitely think girl. So. Who knows!

Movement: Zip.

Sleep: Dear pregnancy insomnia, please go away and take these dark circles under my eyes with you. Ugh. The good news, though, is that my doctor suggested I take Tylenol PM for a few nights in order to finally get a full night's rest. I did, and it was glorious! The bad news, it made me feel loopy and light-headed the next day. So long, Tylenol PM. So long, sleep.

What I Miss: Sleep. Caffeine. Energy. 

Cravings: Carrots and hummus-yum, yum, yum! Pumpkin ice cream. Anything salty!

The Belly:
WEEK 10:

Size of Baby: The baby is now a little over an inch long, about the size of a kumquat (again, I have absolutely no idea what that is. I had to Google it.)

This was also the week I filmed as an extra for "Homeland"; so, if I actually end up making a small cameo in the episode, and don't end up on the cutting room floor, know that Baby Lu was also making his/her television debut. :)

Maternity Clothes: Still no, although I do have to un-button my pants by the end of some days.

Symptoms:  Still tired. I just cannot wait to have my energy back. I'm not nearly as nauseas as I was a couple weeks ago, which is definitely good news, although I do still get waves of nausea at times. I can feel things slowly growing and stretching, but I think it'll be awhile before I have an actual "bump."

Gender: I think girl. My hub thinks boy. We shall see...

Movement: Zilch.

Sleep: Bleh. I still wake up every single night and lie awake, tossing aimlessly while my thoughts race. Luckily, I have mostly been able to go back to sleep after an hour instead of two. 

What I Miss: Pumpkin-flavored beer. It would just taste so good on a cool Saturday with college football playing non-stop. 

Cravings: Cheese. Rice with vegetables. Cheez-Its. Sweets. An extra dirty martini-that sounds sooooo good right about now. 

The Belly:
WEEK 11: 

Size of Baby: The baby is now approximately 1.5 inches long, about the size of a fig. We had our second ultrasound this week. My hub, Raleigh, and I all went while Banks was in school (although I definitely want Banks to come to our big anatomy scan when the baby looks more like a baby [even though we won't be finding out the sex. He LOVES looking at pictures of our baby]). Anywho. Our sweet baby was moving all over the place and had a heart rate of 175! 

Maternity Clothes: Nope. But. I did have to pull out the rubberband trick for the first time. And I have a hint of a baby bump some days. Actually, one of my girlfriends told me that even if I hadn't already told her I was pregnant, she would be able to tell after seeing me this weekend. This is MUCH sooner showing that I did with Banks and Raleigh, whose bumps weren't noticeable until halfway through my second trimester. Yikes! Some days the bump is bigger than others, leading me to believe it's more bloat than bump. 

Symptoms:  Still crappy skin. Still waves of nausea. Still tired. I actually just woke up from a glorious, 1.5 hour nap. Hip pain (luckily the rest of my joint pain I mentioned in previous weeks is finally gone). 

Gender: Now, I waiver. Still have a stronger girl feeling, but I can also imagine myself snuggling a newborn boy. 

Movement: Not yet. 

Sleep: I have fallen asleep before 9:00 pm several nights over the last few days. Great! But then I wake up at 4:30 am for the day. Boo! 

What I Miss: Sushi. Seasonal beers. Interestingly, a glass of wine sounds so gross these days. 

Cravings: Soup. Chocolate-covered gummy bears. Baked Doritos. Cereal. Ramen noodles. Such a random combination, I know.

The Belly:

And there you have it! I'll be 12 weeks in two days and will post the next update in one week. Yahoo! Just 28 weeks to go!!!!

7 comments:

  1. so exciting!!!! and i LOVE these updates!!
    vivid dreams and horrible skin were my first clues of pregnancy with all three of mine. i have some cuh--ray-zee dreams when pregnant. and insomnia. oh, the insomnia. i do not miss that! so excited to follow along (and so jealous that you are still so tiny!...i think i look more pregnant than you...and i'm NOT!!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amy! I always loved how you did this with your girls and thought it'd be fun to do the same! The insomnia and bad skin are the pits-hopefully for some relief from both soon! I will definitely be in touch for tips on caring for three with a traveling hubby. I'm a little nervous about it, which is why I love seeing pictures of you looking not only sane but happy with your sweet trio despite J's travel schedule. :) And thanks for your kind words-I'm trying to stay active before I start looking like a beached whale. That day's a'-comin' soon... :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I'm glad you aren't finding out the gender. That makes it SO much more exciting. We did that with Liam and it's a ton of fun! Plus it helped me save a bunch of money, lol =P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lindsey! It is going to be HARD not to find out at that 20-week ultrasound, and so help me if a doctor or nurse slips up between then and the birth, but we're so excited for that "It's a....." moment. :) And yes, saving money is always a good thing, right? There are just so many cute clothes and so little time. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this! We're so excited for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoo!!! Thank you so much, Mariah!!!! I love watching the whole family grow, from new spouses to new babies, we are growing by the minute! :)

      Delete
  4. Ah, first trimester is always fun! I remember with Addington I was so sick that I needed Zofran just to get through the day. Having insomnia while pregnant is a cruel joke... i think it simply prepares you for a lack of sleep once the baby is here:) Thanks for letting us follow along...you look great for being pregnant!!!

    ReplyDelete