Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Details

I was so, so happy to get such supportive feedback about my idea via Facebook, texts, Instagram, and email. Thank YOU for wanting to know more about this. For wanting to be IN. 

Please, please, pretty please, share this idea, this blog, this post, with your friends, your family, your co-workers, your students, your acquaintances. The more, the merrier. 

Okay. So now for the details.

While I will not release the actual text of the manuscript until the book is published (there needs to be some element of surprise while also protecting the content, right?), I WILL tell you the exact images that are needed.

I know that many of those who are interested in participating in this idea are Mommas (rock on, Mommas--chest bump to all of you): Mommas of beautiful, beautiful babies. Babies whose pictures I truly, truly LOVE seeing on Facebook and Instagram. Really. I do!

But.

I think what will really make this book sell is if the photos are not identifiable children. In fact, with the exception of the first and last pages of the book, the text of the book is not actually about children at all but instead is about describing love using Southern imagery. 

So.

While your children are amazingly beautiful and incredible little beings, the images for this book need to be more anonymous. As my hub put it, when you stage a house for selling, you remove identifiable photos and images to give the home a more universal feeling. The same goes for this book. If we want a universal audience to read it, they need to be able to identify with the content and with the images, envisioning their own childlren throughout the story. Thus, the images I am requesting are focused more on non-human content. 

Confused? 

Well, let me just lay it out there. Here are the specific photos that are needed for the book:

  • Sun surrounded by clouds
  • Pitcher of sweet tea with lemons
  • Bumbleebee
  • Butterfly (preferable on a flower)
  • Grass with dew or mist
  • Bullfrog in a puddle (yes, I know this is a tough one)
  • Lightening flash at night
  • Peach pie
  • Full moon
  • Front porch with a porch swing
  • Hummingbird on a flower (yep, another toughie)  
  • Shade from an oak tree
  • Rocking chair
  • Storm clouds
  • Autumn leaves in the trees/on ground
  • Fish in a stream (maybe the toughest of them all)
  • Stars and moon
  • Some type of berry field (strawberry?)
  • Ocean waves on the sand 
  • Quilt 
  • Embers and/or fire in a fireplace


So, no, the images won't be of your children. But. They will still be YOUR images, ones that YOU will get credit for in the published book. 

And also, please know that it is not only Mommas who I am hoping will submit photos. I would love nothing more than to have submissions from men and woman of all ages and stages of life. So. Submit away! 

One of the reasons I love Instagram is because you can take an ordinary picture and spruce it up using any of the filters offered. So, please, feel free to use any filter you think will make the photo look more vibrant/picturesque/beautiful. YOU are the illustrator. YOU have creative license to do with the photo as you please.

Remember to use hashtag morethanphoto (i.e., #morethanphoto) and tag me @lindsayluton when submitting a photo for consideration.

One more thing. I know when I post a photo to Instagram, it (usually) saves a copy in my photo bank on my phone. Make sure you do not delete these on your own phone. If your photo is selected, I may need you to email it to me for uploading, formatting, etc. (I haven't yet figured out how to do this with photos I haven't posted to Instagram myself. If you know, let me know. Please.). Make sense?

Okay. That's all for now. Please feel free to comment if you have any questions or suggestions.

Are you still in? 'Cause I am. More than ever. 

Off we go!!!
      


No comments:

Post a Comment