Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Idea

So, I have this idea. 

One that I think is pretty innovative. One that I've never seen done before. One that will require YOUR help.

I'm just gonna get right to the point.

Over the last 8 months, I've been working on a manuscript for a children's book, one that is meant to be a picture book (i.e., similar to what you would see in a board book, for all you momma readers out there). In other words, it uses simple, child friendly language. What sets this story apart from other children's literature I've seen is the utilization of Southern imagery and themes, which is used to showcase a momma's love for her child.

On Monday, I mailed my manuscript, biographical information, and cover letter to a large publishing company in Atlanta. Now, I will tell you, I absolutely LOVE the manuscript and it is very special to me. Now, I will also tell you, I am absolutely, 100% expecting a rejection letter once they review it in 6 to 9 months. The children's publishing field is extremely competitive.

But I really love the story. And I believe in it. And I want to see it get published. 

So. 

I am already planning to go the self-publishing route. But what I am lacking, where I need YOUR help, is with the illustration--and not of the drawing kind. Now, bear with me. Here's where things get NEW, FRESH, and INNOVATIVE.

My idea is to have you, my family, my friends, my acquaintances, my readers, submit your INSTAGRAM photos, which I will then turn around and use as the illustrations for the book.

Are you with me so far? 

What I am thinking is that I will fill you in on the specific images I am looking for (e.g., autumn leaves; lightening flash; peach pie). I will then ask YOU to submit photos through Instagram, using the hashtag morethanphoto (i.e., #morethanphoto) and also tagging me @lindsayluton each time you want to submit a photo. I will then choose from all those submitted which photos will be used in the ACTUAL, PUBLISHED BOOK. 

So, what does this mean for you? I mean, why in the world should you care? Why should you take the time to do this? 

Well, anyone who's photo(s) is selected will be credited under the photo in the ACTUAL, PUBLISHED BOOK. So, you will be a published illustrator! You will also become a part of something new, something that I could see taking the publishing world by storm. I mean, this is a brand new concept, one that taps into everything that is hot right now, namely social media and Instragram; so, this could be BIG, right? I mean, really, really BIG? 

A girl can dream...and do everything in her power to make that dream a reality. 

So, are YOU in? Do YOU want to be a part of this NEW, INNOVATIVE, and FRESH concept? Do YOU want to be a part of something, from the very beginning, that could take the literature world by storm?

Please give me feedback. Let me know what you think. Seriously.

I'm in. 

Are you?



Disclaimer: While all contributing parties will be credited for their work, no monetary compensation will be provided to said parties.





No comments:

Post a Comment